Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

I was driving through a little suburban town this morning and suddenly I saw this storefront:

IMG_1778.jpg

An old school hobby store! As a boy I remember seeing these all over the place, but they are all gone now. But here was a survivor! I learned that Ron (of Ron's Hobbies) passed away some years ago and his grandson bought and runs the store now. The young man working this morning was his neighbor and loves working here (he's into modeling train layouts).

The store is mostly trains, rockets, and plastic models (planes, tanks, and a few ships) along with all the associated paraphernalia. There was a wall display with some basswood/balsa panels and a long wall of paints and painting supplies. Oh, and about every size and configuration of Evergreen plastics you could imagine...

I bought a micro knife and a supply of brass rods and related bits and baubles. I needed none of these things, but I wanted to support this small business in some way. I was feeling pretty good about the state of the world when I left :).

Last edited:
About the rope making, well I have a tool for doing that and I have yet to make a single rope. It is just another project on my list of projects...
I know there are a few POF models out there for sale, but I am not sure yet which one to buy and if the admiral is onboard or not.
but more urgently I need to buy a green mat as my dog ate my last one...

I was driving through a little suburban town this morning and suddenly I saw this storefront:

View attachment 469329

An old school hobby store! As a boy I remember seeing these all over the place, but they are all gone now. But here was a survivor! I learned that Ron (of Ron's Hobbies) passed away some years ago and his grandson bought and runs the store now. The young man working this morning was his neighbor and loves working here (he's into modeling train layouts).

The store is mostly trains, rockets, and plastic models (planes, tanks, and a few ships) along with all the associated paraphernalia. There was a wall display with some basswood/balsa panels and a long wall of paints and painting supplies. Oh, and about every size and configuration of Evergreen plastics you could imagine...

I bought a micro knife and a supply of brass rods and related bits and baubles. I needed none of these things, but I wanted to support this small business in some way. I was feeling pretty good about the state of the world when I left :).
That is awesome. I love those type of stores but there are not that many left, unfortunately. The closest one to my house is about 5 hours away, so I have no choice but to shop online.

View attachment 469329

Posts like this make me happy, Paul!
Such local shops deserve our support. I have one on the other side of the river. By bike 7km via the nearest bridge I often pay a visit. Where the young owner is very helpful. He is my main supplier for my Evergreen-hunger.
And what you wrote about the stock you saw, no problem to build your next model in Evergreen.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 469329

Hi Paul, see you directly spent your birthday gifts in this shop. Congrats, allthough a little late :cool:.

first of all, once again...fantastic work and a world class model.
I have a somewhat banal and yet very important question for me.
How do you manage to ensure that each of the components you create has such clean and sharp contours? Would you please demonstrate this with an example of a component? Possibly in individual machining steps. I would be very grateful for that.

A VERY belated happy Birthday Paul

I am fortunate that one of the hobby stores I frequented as a child is still going and make a point of taking the 80 mile round trip to visit. I do try and push business their way when I can and have bought several kits from there including Imara. It isn't the same having it delivered when you can be restling a massive box into a CoupeROTFROTF

How do you manage to ensure that each of the components you create has such clean and sharp contours? Would you please demonstrate this with an example of a component? Possibly in individual machining steps. I would be very grateful for that.
Hallo Charlie,

I'd be happy to do that (though I fear you will learn it's all rather mundane). I'll select a suitable part in the future and take more photos than I ordinarily do.

Today a rather brief post that represents a LOT of work: the quarter deck has now been outfitted with lodging knees, hanging knees, and carlings...

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

It's a pity that these curved hanging knees are not really visible once all the lodging knees and beams are in place:

IMG_1075.JPG

A peek at the hanging knees:

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

Next up... I'm going to take a shot at the upper deck bulkheads:

IMG_1079.JPG

I enjoy following your work, my friends! Lots of interesting builds out there!

Last edited:
Today a rather brief post that represents a LOT of work: the quarter deck has now been outfitted with lodging knees, hanging knees, and carlings...

View attachment 470922

View attachment 470923

View attachment 470924

View attachment 470925

It's a pity that these curved hanging knees are not really visible once all the lodging knees and beams are in place:

View attachment 470920

A peak at the hanging knees:

View attachment 470928

View attachment 470926

View attachment 470927

Next up... I'm going to take a shot at the upper deck bulkheads:

View attachment 470921

I enjoy following your work, my friends! Lots of interesting builds out there!
A impressive amount of work on that quarter deck, Paul.
Regards, Peter

Back