Kit instruction: Dusek kits

I am looking around for another kit to build and was thinking that Dusek's Statenjacht might be a good choice. However, I really need a kit with good instructions. I did a few Billing Boat kits and had to struggle to figure things out - instructions were minimal, a lot of guesswork, etc.. I have built a number of Occre kits and have been impressed with their instructions, which include colour photos, detailed how-tos, etc. Can anyone give me some idea of the quality of Dusek's instructions?

I am looking around for another kit to build and was thinking that Dusek's Statenjacht might be a good choice. However, I really need a kit with good instructions. I did a few Billing Boat kits and had to struggle to figure things out - instructions were minimal, a lot of guesswork, etc.. I have built a number of Occre kits and have been impressed with their instructions, which include colour photos, detailed how-tos, etc. Can anyone give me some idea of the quality of Dusek's instructions?
I found this in the web. Seems to be the manual or parts of it of the Statenjacht kit from Dusek

These files are for download directly from Dusek

Attachments

• 1645776978_dutch-statenjacht.pl.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 89
  • utrecht-anglicky_1549729077.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 76
Hi, I bought Mamoli's (Dusek) kit of a Dutch Statenjacht 1/48Scale. The kit is very detailed and is double planked with both layers of hull planking being pre shaped by laser cutting. The Chinese kit makers have for the most part done an excellent job. They fall down particularly with the outer layer of keel planking. Instead of shaping these planks to fit as do the upper hull, they just supply straight lengths of planks for you to work it out for yourself, not that easy! There is also a disparity in some places between the illustrated instructions and the actual fitting of some parts including outer planking the keel. The decorative fittings in my kit are of cast metal rather than cast resin and are quite well detailed. They do go a bit 'overboard' with some lasered detail. For instance, the windlass comprises some 57 parts to make four octagonal shapes as they are all small flat laser cut pieces. They have simplified the mast and spars construction to make it easier but is incorrect. Googling 'Statenjacht Utrecht' will give lots of useful photographic information. In the end, it will make a very nice model. I hope this helps you to decide.

Hi Barnacle Bill,
This is very helpful information - lots of detail. At this point I am a bit on the fence. I am thinking of doing this kit, but I am also thinking of building a scratch build paddle wheeler. Decisions, decisions...!

If you want to build a Statenjacht, I would go with the Kolderstok version which I have built. The Dusek model has too much of a “toy boat” look to it, at least to my eye. Kolderstok’s kit has a 64 page instruction manual, in English, Dutch, and German. It was only my second build, and it took me 11 months, but I learned a lot and was very happy with the result. Hope this helps!

Melissa

524ECE28-FE85-46E7-A670-1B809559BEF0.jpeg

B2ED570E-267F-42F1-87E6-C947EA1B596F.jpeg

Hi Melissa, you're quite right, the Mamoli/Dusek version as shown on their box art does look a bit 'Fisher Price'. Your model looks really good and I hope when the time comes to paint my model I will do the kit justice.

Bill

Thanks, Carl and Bill! I’m biased toward Kolderstok as I had such a great experience with the excellent quality of the kit, materials, clear and detailed instructions, and customer service. Hans, the owner of the company in the Netherlands, would answer any question I had within a few hours. So I’m a fan (plus I’m interested in the Dutch Republic in the 17th Century), and look forward to building some of their more advanced kits when my skills get better - I’m still a relative newbie!

dusek's instructions are not very good. I have problems getting the measurements of pieces that I have to do myself

My knowledge of Dusek kits is limited to their offering of a Dutch 'Statenjacht'. I have to agree that their instructions are not very good. Too much guesswork is needed in key areas of the kit. This is particularly frustrating when you consider the price of this kit. I messaged Dusek with my concerns but have had no response from them.

dusek's instructions are not very good. I have problems getting the measurements of pieces that I have to do myself
My knowledge of Dusek kits is limited to their offering of a Dutch 'Statenjacht'. I have to agree that their instructions are not very good. Too much guesswork is needed in key areas of the kit. This is particularly frustrating when you consider the price of this kit. I messaged Dusek with my concerns but have had no response from them.
This information is vert helpful, thanks, everyone. I really rely good instructions and it doesn't seem as though Dusek would make the grade for me.

The Dusek Kit is a great kit with great (pear!) wood, prespilled planks superb resin casts. The only thin I will change are the blocks and rope. The instructions are fine in my opinion. I for myself btw think the Kolderstok looks toy like ... but .. it is what the builder makes from.

cheers

Dirk

Yikes!! The dialogue continues!! The one thing I wasn't keen on was the decorative elements in the Kolderstock model. Closeup, they seem a bit fuzzy and lacking clear detail. I got to keep thinking about this...
Dirk: any chance you can post some pictures of your model??

The Dusek Kit is a great kit with great (pear!) wood, prespilled planks superb resin casts. The only thin I will change are the blocks and rope. The instructions are fine in my opinion. I for myself btw think the Kolderstok looks toy like ... but .. it is what the builder makes from.

cheers

Dirk
I just saw your site with lots of photos. I notice there is a lovely model of the St. Gabriel. Is this a kit?? One of her reason I was considering the Statenjacht is because I am looking for a sailing ship that does not have too much rigging. I have a hand tremor that makes it very challenging to do complex rigging, knots, etc. I can manage it if the rigging requirements aren't too complex. The St. Gabriel looks like it might be a contender.

St. Gabriel is a kit made by Russian manufacturer Master Korabel. Hard to get I fear these times. But I really love the MK Kits, well designed, historical very close and fun to build.

Here is my buildlog: https://forum.dubz-modelling-world.com/thread-18.html

BTW, the Dusek kit is NOT a Mamoli/Dusek kit but a newly designed Dusek Kit. The price is to call moderate considering the good quality of the materials (pear wood etc.).

There are tons of information's about Staatenyachten to find so it should be no problem to overcome some instruction flaws (if they are ..) and to build a great model with the kit.

cheers

Dirk

Last edited:
If you want to build a Statenjacht, I would go with the Kolderstok version which I have built. The Dusek model has too much of a “toy boat” look to it, at least to my eye. Kolderstok’s kit has a 64 page instruction manual, in English, Dutch, and German. It was only my second build, and it took me 11 months, but I learned a lot and was very happy with the result. Hope this helps!

Melissa
Hallo Melissa alias @MThompson
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back