Kit Review, HMS Terror-1/70 Scale-Occre

Ordered 5 days ago from UK, got it today. I am really chopping at the bits to build the vessel called Terror. Let alone the history of this ship from, our Star Spangled Banner to lost in the Polar Ice Cap. Over all is not bad at all. The material looks on pare with todays mfg's. No plains but a well done photo/instruction guide. Google HMS TERROR and you will find over 1 hundred You Tube Videos from Occre for the assembly of the kit. All wood frame parts are laser cut w/little chair on face of parts. Fittings very complete and the deck furniture is well and crisply cast metal. The wood strip is 1st quality with no issues. Overall I am very happy with except for 2 issues I found. The FK and main deck was warped! Fired a e-mail off and asked for these to be replaced. Yes I know how to flatten again, but it will only be temporarily fixed until the offending side draws the part again. I have found that if you find this in a kit, get the mfg to replace and or recut. Other than that, the kit is very nice and for now is stashed away until said parts arrive. Occre acknowledged they had received my request. I have not included any photos, Google HMS Terror and you will find all you need to see.

First of all Welcome aboard SOS! We are glad you found us! It is not common for the new members to start their forum activities with the Kit review. Many thanks! We understand that we can 'Google' information about the kit, but if you don't mind, would you be able to provide pictures "inside the box' to make your kit review complete!

Thanks again, and welcome again!

Hi,
Welcome.
I too have the HMSTERROR from Occre. My deck is also warped as well on of the bulwarks is twisted.
Unfortunately I found all others ok and so I ( dumb) glued it in place and tried to fix it, no go!
I have emailed Occre, so far no reply. I plan to keep going and fix it myself. A shim here and there and a good clamp may do the trick. I am planning to install 3 mast lanterns, 2 Captain window lights and several inside to glow through the small deck skylight portholes, using flickering LEDs. I will keep you posted how it goes.
Good luck with your model.
Ted

As requested here is a photo of what you get in the kit. The box looks small and is packed full. I am impressed with the quality of the kit. One thing it seems all are doing is omitting line drawings. I understand to keep cost of kit low, or as I have heard! But a line drawing of the hull and deck goes along way. Other than that, I am impressed with the contents. There does seem to be a issue though with the FK and Deck. They keep showing up warped. I believe 2 things contribute to this. #1...shrink warp around the wood parts and how they are stacked, this process puts un due stress on both of these parts. #2...the FK&Deck are laser cut as are all the wood parts, but they are removed from their blanks! I am no expert but, I feel if these issue's was looked @ and addressed, Occre would find it would not have to keep sending replacements. Other than that, well pleased with the kit. Not too crazy about having to watch You Tube for instructions on building. And a hint of warning here, you can work into a corner if you follow to the letter. Here's the kick, I know in this age of enlightenment everyone has a computer. But what about the fella building who does not. CD's and videos are of little use?
Howdy Teal2, glad to here another is building this for the time, the most advanced ship in the World. Sorry to hear you have not heard back from Occre. I e-mailed and w/in 2 days got a reply the parts were on the way. Where are you located. If you do not hear back, I may can help. I worked out my problems and I have not received the parts yet. So if you do not have, I will send you what I have received if they too are not warped!

occre-hms-terror-12004-inside-kit.png

Teal2 here is a tip. The deck planking is two different widths. The center planking running straight down the deck was 3' wide, the angled deck boards were 2' wide. Or so I have read, and this will be the pattern I will follow while planking the deck. Little details like this can take this kit to another level. You may also look for another material for the Bow iron reinforcement, the stuff in the kit is very stiff and looks like a pain in the buttocks to form and attach. I have no suggestions @ this time and will let you know what I will use. Good luck on you build.
Rick

As requested here is a photo of what you get in the kit. The box looks small and is packed full. I am impressed with the quality of the kit. One thing it seems all are doing is omitting line drawings. I understand to keep cost of kit low, or as I have heard! But a line drawing of the hull and deck goes along way. Other than that, I am impressed with the contents. There does seem to be a issue though with the FK and Deck. They keep showing up warped. I believe 2 things contribute to this. #1...shrink warp around the wood parts and how they are stacked, this process puts un due stress on both of these parts. #2...the FK&Deck are laser cut as are all the wood parts, but they are removed from their blanks! I am no expert but, I feel if these issue's was looked @ and addressed, Occre would find it would not have to keep sending replacements. Other than that, well pleased with the kit. Not too crazy about having to watch You Tube for instructions on building. And a hint of warning here, you can work into a corner if you follow to the letter. Here's the kick, I know in this age of enlightenment everyone has a computer. But what about the fella building who does not. CD's and videos are of little use?
Howdy Teal2, glad to here another is building this for the time, the most advanced ship in the World. Sorry to hear you have not heard back from Occre. I e-mailed and w/in 2 days got a reply the parts were on the way. Where are you located. If you do not hear back, I may can help. I worked out my problems and I have not received the parts yet. So if you do not have, I will send you what I have received if they too are not warped!

View attachment 107023
Hi Neo
I have just sent my 5th email to Occre, still no response. I feel that this kit may look ok but the problems arising are very annoying. Yes I can fix the warp, I can adjust the bulwarks but when you pay over $300.00 dollars for a kit you would think the company would seem to care. I also agree with our other Terror builder that the lack of good line drawings and dependence on Utube is really sub par. I have built the coral VICTORY and their plans are awful. I had to redesign the model with the actual VICTORY plans, annoying that these kit makers cut so many corners to save a dollar or two.
I won’t buy either the Occre or Corel kits again. I probably will go for a scratch build.
Here is hoping I will hear from Occre soon.
I am designing a flickering LED circuit for 14 lights, I need the keel and bulwarks and deck to fit the lights.
Ted

Hi Neo
I have just sent my 5th email to Occre, still no response. I feel that this kit may look ok but the problems arising are very annoying. Yes I can fix the warp, I can adjust the bulwarks but when you pay over $300.00 dollars for a kit you would think the company would seem to care. I also agree with our other Terror builder that the lack of good line drawings and dependence on Utube is really sub par. I have built the coral VICTORY and their plans are awful. I had to redesign the model with the actual VICTORY plans, annoying that these kit makers cut so many corners to save a dollar or two.
I won’t buy either the Occre or Corel kits again. I probably will go for a scratch build.
Here is hoping I will hear from Occre soon.
I am designing a flickering LED circuit for 14 lights, I need the keel and bulwarks and deck to fit the lights.
Ted
Hi Ted

You can send a message on their facebook page,use the facebook messenger

Back