Kitkat

New member, been 40 years since last model. Getting into wooden models, going to try Bluenose, only thing that worries me is planking
Plenty of Bluenose logs to view and lots of help here. Welcome

Welcome aboard! Check out the logs and a book or two. Then have a go at it - one piece at a time.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Just starting and would like comments or your reviews on Model Shipways Bluenose ship build. I have heard various reviews about difficult plans, and wrong thread in kit for rigging. I am awaiting for the delivery of this ship. Any thought would be greatly appreciated

Just starting and would like comments or your reviews on Model Shipways Bluenose ship build. I have heard various reviews about difficult plans, and wrong thread in kit for rigging. I am awaiting for the delivery of this ship. Any thought would be greatly appreciated
I've not build that kit, but the key is go slow and take your time. 70 % trial fitting and adjusting the shape to fit, 30% using glue to afix the parts. :D

I can not say anything about the quality or content of the Model Shipways kit of the Bluenose, but definitely you should take a detailed look into our group build of the Bluenose.
It is a PlankOnFrame kit of another manufacturer, but you will get a lot of information about the fittings and especially the rigging and sails of the original ship

Related to rigging maybe directly a hint towards the building log made by @Peter Voogt who is discussing and researching the rigging in moment in detail

Hi ‘kitkat’. It’s nice that you are going to build a Bluenose.
About your ask for ‘comments or reviews’, in de post #1 of the thread in the next link you can find a list of other BN builds:
It‘s in the YuanQing area, but I have also listed the build of BN’s from other manufacturers. In the lower part also 7 MS builds with the links to those build-logs.
Like Uwe mentioned, the rigging on my YQ-BN is mostly based on the MS-plans. Dean has also based them on that plans.
The next 2 links are interesting MS builds:
—> The Suburban <—
—> Retired Guy <—
We invite you to start a build-log as soon as you start with your build. You can ask there for help of post your questions.
Then I will ad your build-log to the BN-list.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. The Bluenose was (is - since I’m still working on it) my first wood kit as well. I was nervous about planking as well, but it went fairly smoothly. The build logs continue to help me. Unfortunately I probably spend more time looking through build logs than I do actually working on the BN.

Back