Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

I really like this posting a LOT! "Only a few more planks" - that is exactly how you should look at things. If the planking takes a long time - no problem. Remember, we only get one chance to get the planking right. And I must tell you - your planking looks "very right"!

I really like this posting a LOT! "Only a few more planks" - that is exactly how you should look at things. If the planking takes a long time - no problem. Remember, we only get one chance to get the planking right. And I must tell you - your planking looks "very right"!
Thank you for the compliment. I have gained a lot of confidence following your log and I also have excessive enthusiasm to counter those “RO-OH” moments. I’ve learned that ”DO-Overs” aren’t punishment but just another step to learn additional skills.

I have question on the 6mm planks. Where does the “taper” to 4mm start? Bulkhead #3/ Bulkhead #4?

Jan, I started tapering from bulkhead #2 already. As you move lower down the hull (towards the keel), you can consider moving the tapering point gradually backwards, but I never went back further than Bulkhead #3. The main thing is just for the plank to form a smooth and harmonious line.

Jan, I started tapering from bulkhead #2 already. As you move lower down the hull (towards the keel), you can consider moving the tapering point gradually backwards, but I never went back further than Bulkhead #3. The main thing is just for the plank to form a smooth and harmonious line.
Thank you for that information. That part is on tomorrow’s agenda.

The doldrums:

Port side Wale planking completed, starting on the starboard side

01FC4178-B317-4295-BA40-E733DA7D23BB_1_201_a.jpeg

80FD1091-9375-4E42-9582-1153D05F0242_1_201_a.jpeg

What does a guy do when on one build the glue is drying while on another the next strake/plank is pinned and drying??

Well, he gets inventive. The ingredients-- One 1 1/12 inch square by 4 inches long piece of Cedar, a 3/4 inch by 1 1/2 long Birch dowel, a 11 inch by 1/ 1/2 inch piece of sandpaper and 1 1/4 inch drywall screw. Mix well and you have --

077E5656-D532-4773-A975-42B576273452_1_201_a.jpeg

Viola, a DIY sanding block.

:D:D

Last edited:
The doldrums:

Port side Wale planking completed, starting on the starboard side

View attachment 311919

View attachment 311920

What does a guy do when on one build the glue is drying while on another the next strake/plank is pinned and drying??

Well, he gets inventive. The ingredients-- One 1 1/12 inch square by 4 inches long piece of Cedar, a 3/4 inch by 1 1/2 long Birch dowel, a 11 inch by 1/ 1/2 inch piece of sandpaper and 1 1/4 inch drywall screw. Mix well and you have --

View attachment 311918

Viola, a DIY sanding block.

:D:D
Good evening Jan. WB all looking good and a pretty neat sanding block tooThumbsup....those doldrums....it is like ..“watching paint(glue) dry”. Cheers

Good evening Jan. WB all looking good and a pretty neat sanding block tooThumbsup....those doldrums....it is like ..“watching paint(glue) dry”. Cheers
Yessir. The strakes/ planks are a slow process on the WB. I pin the soaked strake/plank in place after using the K iron to bend the bow section, let it dry overnight. The next days is spent sanding, fitting, sanding, fitting, etc. until I"m finally satisfied with the result. Then it's on to next one. I figure at my current build speed I should have the hull closed in by Christmas. :D

Last edited:
That port side planking looks superb Jan - really superb. You are onto a very good thing here and must be well pleased with how that has gone! Thumbsup

Jan, i am a slow builder as well, but you can also say, that we are not in a hurry, peronally, i don't feel the rush to finish my little ship next week already.:):)
I agree with you, I enjoy working on the little ships a couple of hours or so a day. I'm in not in a rush to complete any of them. My boys are always asking " When will you be done?", my answer is always the same "SOON".

@Heinrich, I think there is trouble in the Pathfinder boatyard. I took the WB off the shelf and dug out the instructions and tried to figure out where to restart the build. Much to my dismay I noticed two problems right off.

52B8F88D-F8FE-4E84-83E4-47B8448809C2_1_201_a.jpeg
The planking has pulled away from the Bulkheads (Red Arrows). I soak, bend and fix the plank in place. Let the plank dry into its shape overnight and then glue them in place the next day. My guess is the high humidity and hot temperatures we have had plus effect of the planks not having dried enough before gluing all contributed to problem #1.

Problem #2.

2272CB5A-C435-416A-9092-912184769328_1_201_a.jpeg

There is a wee bit of a bow in the plank at these points (Red Arrow). The SB side is OK but the PS looks like it needs to be shimmed.

So here we go. A little bit of "RE-DO" to restart the build.

Good to see you pulled the WB off the shelf, Jan. About the glue, and the planks coming loose, I can't help you. Some of my more difficult to shape planks, I glue onto the hull while still being very damp, and I have never had an issue with that.

2272CB5A-C435-416A-9092-912184769328_1_201_a.jpg

Your problem here does not lie at the stern which causes the plank to bow, but at Bulkhead #10. If you recall my log, I mentioned that Piet has added a 1mm balsa strip to Bulkheads #10 and #3. If Bulkhead #10 is made a bit wider, it will make the plank run straight. I notice that your stern bulkhead does not lie completely flush against the false keel which means that the angle of the stern will be slightly off. There is nothing you can do about that now, but that will also change how the planking lies against it.

JPG_0865_5911_bewerkt-1.jpg

I trust this helps my friend.

Thanks for the reply. It's a bit of a strange problem. I think my case #9 seems to be the problem.

7F0DCCBE-FB62-4904-9AB4-0FE6CC9DB50A_1_201_a.jpeg

I'll try adding a shim at #9 and see how the planks lineup. A big plus is that I don't have to worry about ungluing anything. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

View attachment 317441

@Heinrich, By adding the shim at the #9 Bulkhead the plank lifts much better. But I would guess that each plank will need careful scrutiny at that point. Very interesting problem, eh??
Indeed interesting Jan. I mentioned that Piet added a shim on #10, but I didn't have to. That is the beauty of model building, we all fair our hulls differently and, ultimately, end up with different challenges. If the problem is solved, that is what counts and I'm very happy to hear that that seems to be the case. Careful scrutiny, however, will always be required on the WB - this hull is a challenge.

Back