Kroum Batchvarov - Underwater Ship Archaeologist - YouTube channel

Seems like the only way to properly duplicate the framing in Wasa is to obtain laser topography data taken from within the ship, if there is sufficient access to the frames, and use that data to 3-D print the frames, since each frame is unique. What a monstrous task! Then the question comes to mind, wlll @dockattner build a second and more accurate model from the inside out? That I'd like to see... :D

The 17th century in the Holland is generally called The "Golden Age". This prosperity was mostly caused by the products of the Dutch Shipbuilding industry, which was very popular both in the Republic and abroad.
What 17th century Dutch ships looked like is very well known from all the beautiful paintings that maritime painters of the period left us.
But how were they built?
In this video you can find a comprehensive answer to this question...

La BELLE (1684) - Where to find the most accurate information to build a model​

This book seems to be a good source, and making advertisement for good publications and sources are in principle very positive.
But I have some problems of how you present it here.

Jean Boudriot published his monograph already in year 2000 - so I am wondering why you can say, that "he arrogantly ignored" the information

Interesting, that although the monograph of Boudriot is full of mistakes, that the 3D model you use in the beginning is a very good interpretation of the Jean Boudriot drawings - more or less in all details, also f.e. the same location of all ringbolts installed at the outer ships hull.
The only visible difference is the way the gun port lids are installed, which is in my opinion technically not really possible, because there is a big problem to keep them with ropes open (the top of the lids are in the air) - so the lids to the side are making more sense......

Boudriot
Screenshot 2023-12-18 094113.png

Your 3D animation - showing 99% of Boudriots drawing -
btw the 3D model is very similar to Bernhard Huc´s 3D model published 2007, or better it is this 3D-model (even the colour tone of the hull planking is the same) only with different lids (see video)
Did Bernhard made the change of the lids?

Screenshot 2023-12-18 092612.png

For everybody interested to compare more, take a look at the monograph

I am looking forward to have some discussions or more detailed information .....

Last edited:
Boudriot's monograph of the La Belle was created in the underwater ship after the pieces of wood found. The overwater ship is no longer present and has been reconstructed to his experience. Here, of course, there are many starting points to disagreement, such as the shape and material of the stern lantern, the ascent to the stern via a staircase, a bell hanger with bell on the bow and of course the attachement of the gun port lids, which are executed differently at Glenn Grieco and there are many other differences.

PC180019.JPG
Gun port lids after Lemineur on La Volage.

PC180022.JPG

PC180021.JPG
Swivvel guns without poles.

In any case, I ordered the recommended book, which will be delivered in mid-January.

Best regards
Thomas

I ordered the book here in Germany. The price and delivery are very likely different in the USA.

View attachment 414988
Hallo Thomas,
when you got this book, maybe you can show us a little bit the content in a Look Inside?
The book seems to be interesting, but 96 Euros are a lot of money

This book seems to be a good source, and making advertisement for good publications and sources are in principle very positive.
But I have some problems of how you present it here.

Jean Boudriot published his monograph already in year 2000 - so I am wondering why you can say, that "he arrogantly ignored" the information

Interesting, that although the monograph of Boudriot is full of mistakes, that the 3D model you use in the beginning is a very good interpretation of the Jean Boudriot drawings - more or less in all details, also f.e. the same location of all ringbolts installed at the outer ships hull.
The only visible difference is the way the gun port lids are installed, which is in my opinion technically not really possible, because there is a big problem to keep them with ropes open (the top of the lids are in the air) - so the lids to the side are making more sense......

Boudriot
View attachment 414690

Your 3D animation - showing 99% of Boudriots drawing -
btw the 3D model is very similar to Bernhard Huc´s 3D model published 2007, or better it is this 3D-model (even the colour tone of the hull planking is the same) only with different lids (see video)
Did Bernhard made the change of the lids?

View attachment 414689

For everybody interested to compare more, take a look at the monograph

I am looking forward to have some discussions or more detailed information .....
The real ship and the well-known drawings of Boudriot's monograph have nothing in common except the name of the ship. Starting from the dimensions and lines of the ship and ending with the fittings...
So how can you do a so-called "reconstruction" if you don't even have the right shape and size of the ship for it?!

The real ship and the well-known drawings of Boudriot's monograph have nothing in common except the name of the ship. Starting from the dimensions and lines of the ship and ending with the fittings...
So how can you do a so-called "reconstruction" if you don't even have the right shape and size of the ship for it?!
Hallo Olha,
unfortunately you did not get my point what I wanted to express.
You are using in the beginning of the video a 3D-model which is representing the Boudriot "reconstruction" completely - made by Bernard Huc - also other POF model(s).
If the Boudriot drawings are incorrect (and I guess you are right here, based on the later archeological information) than do not use Boudriot model(s) in the video

PC200027.JPGBook page 66: "From a watery grave" with building drawings by Boudriot.

PC200028.JPG
The deck is too high.

Whatever. The construction of this small ship according to the detailled Boudriot plans was a great pleasure. The end result of the finished model is just a contemporary ship and always pleases me when I pass it by.

Now I am looking forward to the delivery of the ordered book to gain further insights. But I don't think there are complete drawings there. Here you have to get active yourself.

Best regards
Thomas

I HAVE BEEN THINKING A LOT ABOUT THE LA BELLE FROR QUITE SOME TIME I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE ZHYL KIT BUT NOT NOW I THANK OLHA AND KAREM FOR THERE WORK. AT MY AGE(85 1/2 AND SOME PHYSICAL PROBLEMS DO NOT WANT TO DON A SCRATCH BUILD, UNLESS I CAN SEE IF IT IS DOABLE MY ME MY CONCERN WOULD BE A JIG, I CAN NOT BUILD ONE BUT MAY HAVE A SOURCE IF ANY KITS BASED ON YOUR RESEARCH ARE GETTING BREADY LET ME KNOW. HIT ME BACK. PRAY TO JESUES FOR A FREE UKRAINE GO FOR IT LET THE LORD LEAD TO VICTORY. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YO AND YOURS DON

Hallo Olha,
unfortunately you did not get my point what I wanted to express.
You are using in the beginning of the video a 3D-model which is representing the Boudriot "reconstruction" completely - made by Bernard Huc - also other POF model(s).
If the Boudriot drawings are incorrect (and I guess you are right here, based on the later archeological information) than do not use Boudriot model(s) in the video
The 3D model this is video from the museum in Austin, just for the background like all the pictures with the ship.

Back