laser engraver/cutter?

I have one but am to scared to use it. I would suggest trying to get one where the laser head has a shield, even though mine I was given special glasses.
The other thing too is ventilation. As the laser burns the wood, smoke is created and if you don't have a place for it to go, you will have a room full of smoke.
So, I bought it for my cnc 3018 machine, but I have yet to use it and quite frankly I might not, ever.

Almost need a small dedicated room with good ventilation for these laser burners!

Same problem I ran into on my 3D resin printer, the smell is bad, but it has a hood with vent that can be exhausted outside.

yes ventilation can be a problem. im sure its a simple fix... we are creatives.

a make shift exhaust hood made with a box n fan vented to the outside via a dryer hose is easy enought to solve the problem. if your bathroom has an exhaust fan to outside; that work too. a stove hood vented outside will work.... but thats just part of making it work like spray painting indoors didnt stop you from buying the equipment.

id be interested in doing intricate cutting, if thats possible on these cheap machines.

I have one but am to scared to use it. I would suggest trying to get one where the laser head has a shield, even though mine I was given special glasses.
The other thing too is ventilation. As the laser burns the wood, smoke is created and if you don't have a place for it to go, you will have a room full of smoke.
So, I bought it for my cnc 3018 machine, but I have yet to use it and quite frankly I might not, ever.
which head did you get?.... you just bought the laser head to replace the router. i had a cnc n that made alot of smoke when working wood. the exhaust hood worked very nicely. btw the glasses are safe enough but you can get the plastic to make a shield.

which head did you get?.... you just bought the laser head to replace the router. i had a cnc n that made alot of smoke when working wood. the exhaust hood worked very nicely. btw the glasses are safe enough but you can get the plastic to make a shield.
I purchased it from Sainsmart. I just had a look at their website and they have shields on them.
What plastic do you recommend? Is it not a polarized material that is used as a shield?

Screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
yes ventilation can be a problem. im sure its a simple fix... we are creatives.

a make shift exhaust hood made with a box n fan vented to the outside via a dryer hose is easy enought to solve the problem. if your bathroom has an exhaust fan to outside; that work too. a stove hood vented outside will work.... but thats just part of making it work like spray painting indoors didnt stop you from buying the equipment.

id be interested in doing intricate cutting, if thats possible on these cheap machines.
ah yes. more expenses...

some laser shield info...

a quick google search.

there is always more expense... ship kits didnt come with tools. are any hobbies cheap?.

If I had the funds, I would probably buy a CO2 laser that comes with air purifier. The CO2 laser has a lot more power than those diode type lasers. I have seen these sold together.

If I had the funds, I would probably buy a CO2 laser that comes with air purifier. The CO2 laser has a lot more power than those diode type lasers. I have seen these sold together.
the CO2 lasers are enclosed and quite pricey but I would say if you plan on doing a lot of laser work that is the way to go. Not that cheap stuff

one thing to check is the wattage of the laser. Those inexpensive hobby size lasers are good for engraving but not so good for cutting. With low power lasers you have to go over and over the cut to get through the material. The more times you go over the cut the more it will burn. Laser beams are hot so if your moving slow along a cut the beam is burning the material as you go, so fast is good. The laser service i use will cut a 2 foot line in 1/4 inch thick wood in seconds.

Last edited:
Co2 laser cutters are the most ideal for wood cutting . If you are looking to cut a couple of designs for the sheer fun of it, then then a semiconductor diode laser could suffice but if you are looking to set up a serious laser cutting, then you want to go with a CO2 laser cutter.

Co2 laser cutters have a wattage of between 30 watts all the way to 300 watts which makes them perfect for most wood cutting projects.

Wattage 40 to 60
Wood thickness to cut ¼ inch thick wood 2 passes depending on speed
90 watts to 120 watt
½ inch thick wood

These machines are generally small and are therefore meant for smaller laser cutting projects. While they are often used for cutting cardboard and paper, they may also come in handy for creating images on some wood materials as well.

However, for this to work, you will need a couple of passes and the wood needs to be soft too. Semiconductor diode lasers pack a wattage ranging from 1 W – 10 W.

If you intend cutting wood with a diode laser .
Wattage 1W
Under 2.5 mm with multiple passes
6 W
With a one-pass cut 2 to 3 mm or multiple passes for 4 to 5 mm
8 W
With a single pass cut through 4 to 5 mm of wood
10 W
With the 10 mm in a single pass while up to 15 mm in several passes

an 80W laser, will cut 1/4 wood in 2 passes, with good air assist. or in one pass at a very slow speed which results in more charring.

I purchased it from Sainsmart. I just had a look at their website and they have shields on them.
What plastic do you recommend? Is it not a polarized material that is used as a shield?

View attachment 472603
Careful, the shield material/color is specific to the wavelength of the laser. Safety first

Back