Latest Download

I am pleased to announce the publishing of the latest download, The Shelterdeck, New Series, Issue 6. After completion of issue 5, I had decided to discontinue the The Shelterdeck because of declining interest.
I was, however, continually aware that in Issue 4, I had begun a progressive article on building a miniature model of the topsail schooner Julia, commencing with the display case. Issue 5 covered the construction of the hull. Rather than end with Issue 5, part way through the Julia build, I decided to produce this final issue, number 6 that, covers the fitting out of the hull, and the rigging, plus an index to the whole new series, numbers 1 to 6 inclusive. It appears that a number of people got confused with what they had, or hadn't downloaded, as The Shelterdeck's all had the same name! Further articles will be similar to The Shelterdeck, but will be "stand-alone" downloads, each with a different title to try and avoid confusion. Please click the image below, and scroll down a bit to read the synopsis, then, if you wish to purchase a download, a button is provided for £1.49 - Paypal or cards.
Bob
Download link: Scroll down a bit after it opens to read the synopsis, then, if you wish to purchase a download, a button is provided for £1.49, Paypal or cards.
https://payhip.com/b/nMvh

Last edited:
They are all available, links are in the latest one (Nr 6) https://payhip.com/b/nMvh but it is proving a bit of a "damp squib," with 82 views and only one sale. I guess these downloads have now run their course. Considering it took me almost 22 hours to reasearch and write, it is not really worth the effort any more!
Bob

Last edited:
I did something similar to this with airplanes I was making, the process was lengthy to create the book with pictures of every step of construction including Building the Tiny Receiver and Transmitter and Programming it with a Pic-it Programmer that I also showed how to build and use. Lots of Interest in the planes until it came time to pay for the Information, then only a handful of orders. I spent countless hours learning how to Program micro chips and building electronic circuits. then I spent even more time writing the code getting it to work properly and updating it to make it more efficient. and a ton of time Building tiny 1/72 and 1/48 scale aircraft and tweaking them to get them to fly properly. The code alone was worth the asking price of $10 for the Ebook folks wanted it all free of charge and I wasn't about to do that with all the time invested. The little receiver was capable of 4 channel output on a single 20 Mah lipo battery for a 10min flight the planes were small enough to fly in a living room. anyhow I Purchased all of your Books and cant wait to go through the Information and start building some Micro Ships

Thanks Joe,
Four gone now. When I started the series, they were very popular, but interest trailed off with recent issues, with most saying they couldn't do it (without even trying), but the actual methods make it a lot simpler than you would imagine I have kept the cost minimal, but research and drawing the plans takes up a, lot of time, as you will appreciate (I was in electronics as well).
Bob

this should be fairly straight forward for me as I build little ships for bottles, but rarely do they have the level of detail your builds have so I'm very happy to see how deck fittings and such are made in small scale. I will also gain some knowledge in display crafting. I tell you if your wife did painting tutorials Id be first in line she does amazing work on the water for your displays. I have oil painting exp. for landscapes using a wet on wet process that I've done well in but I still struggle with proper blending to achieve depth and visual effects.
I guess I always knew I'd eventually build small stuff it happened with planes. my first few years I build huge nitro powered planes 6-12' wingspans and as space to fly them dwindled I stepped down to smaller playground flyers and eventually house flyers. switching to electric opened a whole new world for me. My smallest to date is a 4" Wingspan 2 ch. plane all up weight is less then a sheet of notebook paper. Unfortunately I didn't start the Micro plane craze, but I did build a lot of firsts plane types to fly in micro form. I still love to fly those and every now and then I decide to build something new that hasn't been flown in micro form yet. I'm off to do some reading of your e books Brother

Thats is a very small aircraft with 4 inch wingspan! I was pushed inbto small scale mainly by the fact that when I began, I was at sea living in small cabins on big ships, and small ones were easier to get home at the end of the voyage.
Bob
Medium 1835.JPG

that's just some amazing work Brother. I love furled sails on ships it allows more of the rigging to be visible from all angles. Rigging is my favorite part of building ships I've even bought and built ships I didn't really have interest in other then it had a ton of rigging. is that a copper hull I see on that ship ? I have a hard enough time doing that on large models I couldn't imagine doing it this tiny. I think since I would love to build the USS constellation I will make that my first micro build I'm headed back downtown this weekend to take a bunch of pictures of it for a scratch build larger scale. I've been on the vessel at least 20 times and rarely did I take pictures of details. usually we would look around the ship and snap digital pictures as its said to be a Haunted Vessel we have taken tons of pictures with zero ghosts in any of them. we see orbs but dust looks like that as well.

Yes it is real copper. It is that very thin self-adhesive stuff that you probably know about. Are ghosts supposed to show up on digital images? Never considerered the matter, but digital cameras seem very sensitive to just about everything!
Bob

Yes it is real copper. It is that very thin self-adhesive stuff that you probably know about. Are ghosts supposed to show up on digital images? Never considerered the matter, but digital cameras seem very sensitive to just about everything!
Bob
I bought a bunch of the copper tape like 5 years ago when a guy on ebay offered 30 rolls of 3M tape for $15 I wasn't passing that deal up so I bought the lot. I have used it for electronics work as well as decorative work on wood items I made. And I used it on Tattoo Machine Coils I Make for a few of the local Shops.
Digital photography is said to be one of the best ways to capture anomalies but it does capture everything. My wife and I are members of Maryland ghost hunters society and we have captured some amazing stuff over the years including a nearly full body apparition. Orbs are often Dust particles so I rarely ever pay attention to those in photos, but some folks get all crazy about them.

We stayed for a weekend in Gettysburg Pa. At the Farnsworth House this area was one of the sites of the Civil War Battle here in the States. We had a lot of crazy stuff going on in that place it was a sniper post and the attic window was used for that purpose the building has so many bullet marks it looks like Swiss cheese. I literally watched a dresser drawer open up on its own and then close again. I try to debunk everything so I tore that whole dresser apart looking for a reason for it to happen and found nothing. There were voices in that house, lights coming on and going off. lots of times we would be sitting there talking and get chilled to the bone even with the heat going on 80*F Its said that when that happens a spirit has occupied the same space you in. If the Constellation is Haunted we haven't found any evidence of it that couldn't be debunked. Winter is the best tie to do this type of hunting due to the increased electrical charge I the air. a Spirit uses that energy to move things and manifest itself. My wife is very much into the other side I'm still skeptical for the most part, but I'm learning accept thing I cant debunk or explain as natural occurrence.

Your site for you ebooks are they worldwide web and have you used tags such as models, ships, model ships, ship building, ect. those tags help guide folks to the site so you want as many tags pertaining to the info as you think of that way if someone types building models in a search engine if you have that tag it will bring up you link with all the others when I was building a site for my Vaping Mods I was told to write down everything pertaining to it so it can be added to the tag line. its a lot to write down but it did help steer folks to my web site sales increased ten fold for me. so as an example one of the tags was 510 connector so every times someone searched 510 connector it dropped a link to my site as well the 510 connector is the point you attach your vape tank to the Mod box. I even used vape juice and I sold none of that but it pertained to vaping.

Thanks for all info. I lived in an old castle for a time (1959 - 1961). Not ours - it was a merchant navy training college, and was reputed to be haunted, and certain parts could be very scary at night. It had been built in the 1840s, and strange things hapenned from time to time, but I never saw any of them personally. No digital cameras then! I know what tags are, but I have no idea on how to add them to anything. But if you put "Bob Wilson miniature ships" in Google search, you will come up with hundreds of them. Same if you put "The Shelteredeck" in. They get viewed often enough, but only a small number actually download them. This last one has now been viewed 91 times, but only four downlaods (and one of them was me, testing it!:D). The first FREE issue of The Shelteredck, has been viewed 6,247 times, but only 237 have downloaded it. They do trickle out, but interest in merchant ships, their models or histories, is minmial, despite the wide variety of types, with life aboard being far more varied and interesting than on warships. The most common statement is "I could never do anything that small, and merchant ships are boring anyway. But when wars do crop up, merchant ships are invariably dragged in anyway. This is a book I wrote about my own experiences. I had it printed privately, and it sold really well and was reprinted quite a number of times, but is now sold out, and I don't suppose I will have any more printed. I sold them on Ebay or my website www.miniatureships.blogspot.com Bob
Wray Castle 1 (Large).jpg

Attachments

• Falklands Front Cover.jpg
    Falklands Front Cover.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
That's some nice architecture I love castles. One thing I've learned about ghost hunting is that not everyone is sensitive to them. I myself am not, but my wife very much is. I can feel cold and the smells for instance my wife and I were walking down the street in Gettysburg its a nice little town where soldiers found refuge and medical help. during the war it also had battles in the streets. we were walking on a nice hot summer day like 96* that day and sunny all of a sudden I felt cold and could smell a musty smell the same as old clothing that hadn't been washed in a while but was wet from rain or moisture I turned to the wife to ask her if she felt that cold and could smell that mustiness and she could she then heard a shot go off that I didn't hear at first I thought she was joking, but then I smelled the sulfur which was an ingredient in Black powder during the war and still is today. I asked the shop owners if a reenactment was happening today and was told no there should be no activity like that today. This was all odd to me because like I said I'm not usually sensitive to this type of stuff. You may have experienced things you don't remember because they weren't on you mind at the time you were in the castle. but smells that are out of place and a brief cold feeling when your warm is usually a good indicator that your not alone. on that day in Gettysburg the wife and I quite possibly walked right through a ghost or spirit standing there yet we couldn't see it. I can remember it though the smells the feeling cold like it just happened yesterday so IMO something happened.

Back