Lathe

dj56

hello shipmates, would this Lathe be good for our hobby?or is it not worth buying?
US$54.99 % 150W 12V-24V Mini Beads Machine Miniature Lathe DIY Woodworking Lathe Grinding Polishing Wood Working DIY Lathe Polishing Drill Rotary Tool Power Tools from Tools, Industrial & Scientific on banggood.com

dj56

Take a look at this small video of the Proxxon - which more expensive, but you can easily compare what is missing at the cheap model you showed......

thanks for the info Uwe, the proxxon is of course much better, and around 140 € is not exactly too expensive a purchase, but yes you can't compare a Mercedes with a skoda from the 70s, my thing is of course how much I use the proxxon, because such a machine is not made to stand in the cupboard, and then we come to the price difference of the Mercedes and the skoda of the 70s

Jimsky

Staff member

Items turned on PROXXON lathe look pretty big. What can a wood ship modeller really do on PROXXON lathe if they work in 1:90 scale?
@Y.T. Items turned on Proxxon (or any other lathe, in fact,) will look exactly the way you will turn them. Using 3 jaw chuck, and miniature chisels you can archive very good results using Proxxon, even for small scale.

moreplovac

Here is an example of do-it-yourself lathe; i have build one for myself but i was not able to make it a "precise" machine.. Still using it for a rough shaping... (the picture is from shipmodeling.ca)

.. but when build tasks are demanding more precise work, then i use a Proxxon mini lathe...

Regards,