Le Soleil Royal cabin layout drawings

There is third drawing existing

post-22933-0-33287200-1482260796.jpg post-22933-0-47100300-1482260807.jpg post-22933-0-67630400-1482260786.jpg

In this polnish forum, the rooms were already once discussed - maybe this is helping

I have to check the ancre publications I have at home, where these layouts are published - maybe in one of these books

There is third drawing existing

View attachment 384677 View attachment 384678 View attachment 384679

In this polnish forum, the rooms were already once discussed - maybe this is helping

I have to check the ancre publications I have at home, where these layouts are published - maybe in one of these books

Thank you for your reply.

Thank you for the link for the description of the cabins.

I have both books but they unfortunately don't have the cabin layout.

I did find two other related Le Soleil Royal cabin drawings one of the ceiling and the other maybe an earlier drawing of the l’Admiral cabin but again there’s no reference to where they come from.

Best Regards
Shaun

Royal Sun Chamber ceiling.png

Soliel Royal Admiral cabin 1.png

Just found out, that the sketches and layouts are signed by "No.15 "

Screenshot 2023-07-15 115549.png

1689414882644.png

Hubert Champy Desclouzeaux​

Hubert Champy Desclouzeaux was the `intendant' of the harbour at Brest and customarily sent Bérain plans of the ships that were to be decorated.

so I guess, that they were also made by Jean Berain the elder

There is a book existing:

"Berain: Dessinateur Du Roi Soleil" 1986 DE LA GORCE, Jerome​

by DE LA GORCE, Jerome

Jean Berain the Elder (1640-1711) was a draughtsman and designer, painter and engraver of ornament, the artistic force in the Royal office of the Menus-Plaisirs du Roi where all the designs originated for court spectacle, from fêtes to funerals, and many designs for furnishings not covered by the Bâtiments du Roi.

These drawings represent both the pre-refit and post refit dimensions of the aft cabins in 1688/89. Originally, the ship must have been significantly more narrow at the stern because the transom widths at the main deck and quarter deck are appreciably less than the post refit drawings (6-window layout). If I remember correctly, the middle deck transom width is also less, as originally constructed.

Just found out, that the sketches and layouts are signed by "No.15 "

View attachment 384813

View attachment 384812

Hubert Champy Desclouzeaux​

Hubert Champy Desclouzeaux was the `intendant' of the harbour at Brest and customarily sent Bérain plans of the ships that were to be decorated.

so I guess, that they were also made by Jean Berain the elder

There is a book existing:

"Berain: Dessinateur Du Roi Soleil" 1986 DE LA GORCE, Jerome​

by DE LA GORCE, Jerome

Jean Berain the Elder (1640-1711) was a draughtsman and designer, painter and engraver of ornament, the artistic force in the Royal office of the Menus-Plaisirs du Roi where all the designs originated for court spectacle, from fêtes to funerals, and many designs for furnishings not covered by the Bâtiments du Roi.

Thank you.

I found these at the library

Berain : dessinateur du Roi Soleil / Jérôme de La Gorce ; préface de Jacques Thuillier
La Gorce, Jérôme de (författare)
Berain, Jean (medarbetare)
Paris : Herscher, 1986
Franska 159 s.

Jean I Berain, dessinateur de la Chambre et du Cabinet du roi (1640-1711)
[Illustr.]
Weigert, Roger Armand (författare)
Paris, 1937
Franska.

Reproduction complète de l'œuvre de Jean Bérain : époque Louis XIV / Armand Guérinet, éditeur.
Bérain, Jean, d.ä. 1637-1711 (författare)
Guérinet, Armand (utgivare)
Publicerad: Paris : Librairie d'Art Décoratif, [date of publication not identified]
Franska 114 plates (including t.-p.)

These drawings represent both the pre-refit and post refit dimensions of the aft cabins in 1688/89. Originally, the ship must have been significantly more narrow at the stern because the transom widths at the main deck and quarter deck are appreciably less than the post refit drawings (6-window layout). If I remember correctly, the middle deck transom width is also less, as originally constructed.
All the drawings relating to the Soleil Royal are compiled in the monograph

THE THREE-DECKER of the Chevalier DE TOURVILLE- 1680​

https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/68-monographie-de-l-ambitieux-vaisseau-3-ponts-1680.html

All the drawings relating to the Soleil Royal are compiled in the monograph

THE THREE-DECKER of the Chevalier DE TOURVILLE- 1680​

https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/68-monographie-de-l-ambitieux-vaisseau-3-ponts-1680.html

Correct - sorry, that I did not think about this monograph, which I have in my library (french and also english) - if you need something from there, please tell me

IMG_46731.jpg

We have a planset review here in SOS, which I made years ago

Correct - sorry, that I did not think about this monograph, which I have in my library (french and also english) - if you need something from there, please tell me

View attachment 385326

We have a planset review here in SOS, which I made years ago

Actually there are two pages which might be interesting (pages 70 - 71?) from the screen shot review of the book on youtube, showing the arrangement of lodgings on the three-decker.

Would you be able to help me with this?

Three Decker.png

Actually there are two pages which might be interesting (pages 70 - 71?) from the screen shot review of the book on youtube, showing the arrangement of lodgings on the three-decker.

View attachment 385328
I will check it in the evening, when I am at home.......

Hobbydoor, what sort of project do you have in mind, surrounding the aft cabins of SR? Also curious - does the book Berain, Desinateur du Roi Soleil have a significant number of plates devoted to his work for the navy?
Hubac’s Historian

The aft cabins is more of a research project for the moment. I'm looking to find as many 17th century ship cabins as possible, either as drawings, archaeological remains or descriptions. Having worked on the reconstruction of the great cabin and stern gallery of the Vasa of 1628, I would like to know more about other cabins.

The books are hopefully on their way to me, as they are on an inter-library loan from the Maritime Museum in Stockholm. As soon as I get them I shall take a look and let you know.

That is completely fascinating that you worked on the jigsaw puzzle otherwise known as Vasa. One contemporary resource that is truly remarkable is the internal description of the Royal Louis of 1668, found in Hyatt’s monograph of 1677, just before the ship’s first major refit. Hyatt takes you through the aft end of the ship, from the lower decks, up through the poop. He describes the internal ornamentals in great detail. Apparently, the ship was as splendid within as on her facade.

Also, If I remember correctly, some of the carved details of the Kronan’s aft cabins have been photographed on the sea floor.

That is completely fascinating that you worked on the jigsaw puzzle otherwise known as Vasa. One contemporary resource that is truly remarkable is the internal description of the Royal Louis of 1668, found in Hyatt’s monograph of 1677, just before the ship’s first major refit. Hyatt takes you through the aft end of the ship, from the lower decks, up through the poop. He describes the internal ornamentals in great detail. Apparently, the ship was as splendid within as on her facade.

Also, If I remember correctly, some of the carved details of the Kronan’s aft cabins have been photographed on the sea floor.
Thank you!

Here some interesting links

Kronan

Ship wreck museum

Vasa museum

Naval museum

View attachment 385328
Here we are
I made photos of the pages with the Soleil Royal sketches, but also some additional pages, which can be also very interesting for you (attached pdf)

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

Attachments

• SAT-VIEDC9-23072008560.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Back