Le Soleil Royal: kit bashed Mantua Sergal model

This was constructed in 1,615 hours and contains 6,503 parts. Le Soliel Royal is French for The Royal Sun.

Attachments

• Le Soleil Royal 88.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 88.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Le Soleil Royal 89.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 89.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Le Soleil Royal 90.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 90.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Le Soleil Royal 91.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 91.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 92
  • Le Soleil Royal 92.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 92.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Le Soleil Royal 93.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 93.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Le Soleil Royal 94.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 94.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Le Soleil Royal 95.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 95.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 73
  • LeSoleil Royal 96.JPG
    LeSoleil Royal 96.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Re: Le Soleil Royal kit bashed Mantu model

<t>Absolutely Stunnig!! Beautiful work Gary. Makes me regret selling mine, but the "High Command" said if I wanted the Jotika Victory besides the Agamemnon something had to go. Interesting to see her in English colors.<br/>
Again Magnifigent!!<br/>
Best Rich.</t>

Thanks Rich. If you read my log, you will see that I invested a lot in rigging line sizes (19 used), numerous sizes of dead eye and blocks and a few other items. Thus, you would have maybe irritated the admiral many times.
Both of those you choose are going to be a real challenge and I know they never send enough sizes of rigging line and very few sizes of dead eye and blocks. So beware that this is normal for kits and if you seek authentic looking rigging, you will have to get others.

Last edited:

<r>Beautiful work Gary, looks great. Now you can rest one day and start another one <E>:D</E> <br/>
<br/>
Barba</r>

Thanks Barba. I have started the Cutty Sark and have 30 hours into her. Will be starting a log when I get the first planking done.

Last edited:
Re: Le Soleil Royal: kit bashed Mantua model

<t>Beautiful model. Well done.</t>

Thank you. It took a lot of time to research the model and study to get things right, especially the rigging where I used 19 different sizes of rigging line. Like most manufacturers, this is the least researched area. Mantua models are usually grossly wrong in this area. The goal of manufacturers seem that the identity of the ship is only in the hull and once this is good enough to be identified in the model, they use generic rigging to finish it off.

Last edited:

<t>Well the result with the rigging seems certainly worth it(not that I know much about it). It's a good point you make about different size rigging.<br/>
Rowan</t>

If you go through my building log, you will be able to see and I do explain a lot about how the rigging was done and how to get the right block sizes, etc.

Last edited:

<t>Just admiring the rigging again. Arthritis has kept me side lined for a spell. The eye sight is not the best as I can't find your source for rigging also. Finishing rig work on independence need scale rope as AL is fair at best. Just laid keel for Agamenom.</t>

A lot of the information on rigging of this ship was based on the book "Historic Ship Models" by Wolfram Zu Mondfeld, ISBN: 1-4027-2186-2.
Various sizes of rigging line have come from numerous ship modeling suppliers that I have purchased over time. I like some rope from of the Model Shipways, Amati, A J Fisher and Mamoli.

Last edited:

<t>Absolutely stunning Gary! All the details really pop! Did you build the case also? Maybe you said in your thread and I missed it.<br/>
You did a very good job on the rigging. The different sized pulleys and line do make a very large difference. Your in depth information gathering and research, has really paid off.<br/>
<br/>
Dave<br/>
Seattle</t>

Thanks everyone for your comments. Wish everyone could see it for real and view the comparison. The case frame was order from ModelExpo and the plastic came from Tap Plastics.

Last edited:

<t>Gary,<br/>
beautiful model, congratulations!<br/>
Janos</t>

Thank you Janos. Glad you found this site. Was going to tell you about it. It is smaller but I think friendlier and you will find a lot of people post on both sites as I do.

Last edited:

<t>Just catching up and wanted to congratulate you on the completion of your model. Lovely workmanship and attention to detail. A model to be proud of.<br/>
<br/>
Regards,<br/>
Bill</t>

Really nice job, Gary.

In my critical analysis of your display (not work), however, I derived an observation on how we might enhance display of our completed models.

After all that work, patience, perseverance, cost, and down-right joyful agony, why do we mount our 'pride' on such a 'cheesy' pedestal. It should be a creative black metal or walnut wood pedestal embellished with lots of filigree design of the era.

Maybe Donnie could help us find a fabricator for such a creative pedestal.

Thanks for your ear, my friend...Jerry

I gave it some thought but could not come up with something that I would risk mounting the model on. These things get bumped and jostled around a lot and have lost others due to people slipping and hitting the case. I have determined to mount the Sovereign on a blue see through plastic stand. This should look better and still give the support necessary to protect the model.

Back