Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I am hoping that the brass casting is malleable and can be bent to properly fit the ship. It looks like it needs to assume a shallow "S" curve. Check your drawings.
It’s pewter alloy and breaks with bending. (Don’t ask how I know.) I’m wondering how @paulb, @Gilbertm, and @BigMike did it. Maybe I can build up behind it with putty?

I’m finally back in the saddle again. Nailing on the black wale just above the bottom gun deck. It’s tough bending the wales without warping them too. I can only work for an hour or so at a time. I think I’ve had Covid this past week. Can’t easily get tests to find out. VA hospital says not to bother them unless it’s dire and distress. So I’ll just stay home for the rest of the week. It’s like a bad case of the flu that’s lasted for a week. Keep Healthy, guys, and stay rested and hydrated.View attachment 282472
Vic,
Use the vaccine my grandmother used to give me, Chicken Noodle soup.

Hello Vic- I was going to ask about the scarf joints and did the kit come without a complete strake for the wales- that is difficult, not something I would be able to pull off yet- Well done. She is coming alone beautifully.
The strakes aren’t long enough. In fact, I had to order more material. When I looked at a plan of the SR provided by @Mr.Deep, I noticed it had scarf joints in the wales and butt joints on the hull planks. Unfortunately, I don’t have the skills or tools to make the scarf joints shown in the pictures. They are much more complicated than mine. image.jpg

The strakes aren’t long enough. In fact, I had to order more material. When I looked at a plan of the SR provided by @Mr.Deep, I noticed it had scarf joints in the wales and butt joints on the hull planks. Unfortunately, I don’t have the skills or tools to make the scarf joints shown in the pictures. They are much more complicated than mine. View attachment 283068
Us crazy ship modelers keep going for it and never stop learning. I’m always amazed how guys like MrDeep, Uwek, Zola, Daniel,Paul, Heinrich Etc etc do what they do. I’m wit Kurt re blacken your nail heads. Awesome job Vic.

Back