Le Soleil Royal

I always tell the beginners, to start with something easy.

Not one of the monsters.

Ok, when I retook the modeling route some 20 years ago after a long hiatus, I tackled the Soleil Royal, my childhood dream and guess, it worked out ;-)

Okokok, somehow. This came out.

soleil-wasserlinie

The start was still before internet forums and plenty of photography, so the pictures are scarce, but one can easily see, build straight out of box, only skipping the glossy colors towards matt.

soleil-maindeckalt

soleil-admiralitaetzubesuch.JPG

soleil-heck1

soleil-bugalt1

Rigging was started straight from the original instructions, but soon I realised that that was not good enough and I switched to my own research using R. C. Anderson The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast, 1600-1720.
soleil-wantentest2.jpg

Soleil-wantenprobe1.JPG

The suggested threadmade-chains were replaced by brass sticks, historically not correct but better by far.
soleil-ruesteisen1.jpg

soleil-ruesteisen2.jpg

At some later point I still rubbed all "wooden" surfaces with dust of brown chalk using a cotton stick. The effect was achieved easily and effectivly and is convincing.
soleil-tasche.jpg

Last edited:
The sails were done on a A3 laser printer. Difficult to get both sides to fit exactly, as poth sides have the seams printed on.
soleil-wasserlinie

soleil-segelnah1

soleil-segelnah0

soleil-segelnah3

The poop got a small balustrade as seen on other french ships.
soleil-kuhl1

And the guns got a simple but effective modification.
soleil-kuhl1

Exquisite to say the least! I'm presently working on the LSRoyal, and I'll be happy if mine looks half as good as yours. I'm at the point where I'm going to glue the assemblies made up of part numbers 58-65 and 69 in place on the sides of the ship, after planking the main deck.

Exquisite to say the least! I'm presently working on the LSRoyal, and I'll be happy if mine looks half as good as yours. I'm at the point where I'm going to glue the assemblies made up of part numbers 58-65 and 69 in place on the sides of the ship, after planking the main deck.
you ever figure out the facebook picture thing?

Actually, I belonged to FB a while back (though I used it only 2 or 3 times per month). One day they cut me off due to using inappropriate language and behavior (!?!). To this day I don't know what in the world they were referring to. So I am, "banned" from FB. I'll live.

Actually, I belonged to FB a while back (though I used it only 2 or 3 times per month). One day they cut me off due to using inappropriate language and behavior (!?!). To this day I don't know what in the world they were referring to. So I am, "banned" from FB. I'll live.
Actually, I'm surprised I haven't been kicked off. I didn't start using fb until about 18 months ago. They have lots of ship build sites I like. Otherwise, I don't really use it. Next time I have my models out, I'll take more picts.

Say Ken--I was mistaken when I said I used to have the Scottish Maid--it was Corel's Scotland Baltic Ketch Yacht. I sure wish I didn't botch it up. It came with pre-made sails and lots of beautiful wood.

Back