Le Valmy

Hello! I have a question about ship model 1/40 in the museum. The ship drawing includes two options - theoretical (discussions principale) and actual (déplacement). So the 1/40 scale model of the ship was built from a theoretical drawing or an actual one? Somebody knows?

Attachments

• le valmy.png
    le valmy.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 12
Hello! I have a question about ship model 1/40 in the museum. The ship drawing includes two options - theoretical (discussions principale) and actual (déplacement). So the 1/40 scale model of the ship was built from a theoretical drawing or an actual one? Somebody knows?
First of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Do you mean the model in the museum in Brest?

1280px-MuseeMarine-Valmy-p1000470.jpg

As known the Valmy was laid down at Brest in 1838 as Formidable and launched in 1847.

and these information are given about the model:
aaa.JPG

photos of the model:

For me it seems, that the ship model was build very early, when the ship was still in the yard under construction. Here the information is given that the model was finished appr. 1840, definitely before 1842!!! At this time the modelers needed also one or two years for such a model, so therefore I guess the models was build based on theoretical (discussions principale)

Very interesting is this info:
She displayed poor performances during her trials, especially with a tendency to roll, and was generally considered a failure. Stability problems were to some extent improved by the addition of a 3 m (9.8 ft) high belt of wood sheathing at the waterline. The outcome of the project led the French Navy to return to a more traditional design with the next generation of ships, which would lead to Bretagne.

Additional Information:

The Valmy is also mentioned in these publications:

Thank you for your friendly welcome to this forum! Thank you very much for this information! Already ordered the book MODELES HISTORIQUES au musée de la marine - Volume 2 by Jean Boudriot :)

Hallo @traffik03
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @traffik03
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back