LED Kit for trumpeter 1/200 Titanic

I am now the proud owner of the 1/200 Trumpeter Titanic, but am disappointed with the LED lighting. Is there an alternate aftermarket lighting kit available?

That is an enlighten question? You might google the kit name and add "upgrades" to see what pops up.

If not, I know you can buy SMD (surface mounted diodes) or little LEDs in bulk real cheap from china on eBay.

I am now the proud owner of the 1/200 Trumpeter Titanic, but am disappointed with the LED lighting. Is there an alternate aftermarket lighting kit available?
Hallo @Farnarkle ,
first of all welcome to our forum.
Take a look at evan designs, which you can find also with a direct link from our main page under "Merchants and Vendors"

Very good service and very good stuff

Hope to see your Titanic project also in a building log - would be very interesting how you do the LED lighting and the complete build

Hi
I have looked all over for led lights for my models.
I designed one myself for my HMS TERROR.
I posted the design awhile back. The leds flicker out of sync but are a bit bright so one must paint an opaque enamel thinned in order to dull them a bit. You have to order the led s seperate, and the resistors. The wire must also be ordered also. Email me if you don’t find my post and I will assist you.

In regards to lighting your kit, Art Braunschweiger did some interesting research you may be interested in perusing, If you have not already.The site is titanicmodel.net. Lighting tech has improved since his site went up, however, I think it’s a pretty thorough look at the lighting methods of the era as well as how to layout and prepare for lighting.

I’m in the process of building the Academy 1/400 scale Titanic anniversary edition. I use the LED lighting provided, however, I used light filters as suggested by Mr. Braunschweiger and it looks pretty good so far. I have attached a pic of the mocked up hull. Please note the hull is filtered, The superstructure is not, so you can see a difference at C-deck. Even warm white lights are not the right hue for an accurate representation of Titanic’s lighting. You will need to filter them “down” further. As for my build, I will be using LEDs and fiber optics for deck lighting and have found pico lighting for overhead lights on the promenade deck as opposed to electroluminescent film that Braunschweiger suggests. They are flat and amazingly small for the amount of light they put out. These and all LEDs were ordered from Evans designs. Good luck with your build.A1CBC598-5288-4C39-B882-8A1B3323D596.jpeg

Build your own. What I did is use fiber optic cable and used flickering candle leds. Drilled out over 1000's port holes, grouped the 25-50 fibers attached to a LED. This way all the porthole flicker at a different rate. I purchased everything at "Fiber Optic Products, Inc."

Thanks all for your suggestions. I have not decided what I will be doing, just yet, I am leaning towards not lighting the kit at all as setting up the lighting appears to be a bit daunting to a complete ignoramus when it comes to electrics. BTW I asked Evan Designs for advice and they were very helpful but I felt I didn't know enough to order the proper components.

We learn by doing. This is my first lighting project. As you can tell I am a lousy photographer. But lighting a model Adds realism and gives it life. Practice with the lighting you have. What do you have to lose. My intention was not to use the light kit that was included either, then I said why not try it out. I found an old off white shirt and taped it over the leds and it softened and diffused the light as you can see. And Evans has solderless solutions to adding more lights.

We learn by doing. This is my first lighting project. As you can tell I am a lousy photographer. But lighting a model Adds realism and gives it life. Practice with the lighting you have. What do you have to lose. My intention was not to use the light kit that was included either, then I said why not try it out. I found an old off white shirt and taped it over the leds and it softened and diffused the light as you can see. And Evans has solderless solutions to adding more lights.
90A538A5-FF36-414B-8E17-61AF47AD51C4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t be discouraged about trying to figure out the lighting on your own. I’m going to use some of the kit lighting but will buy my own warm white LEDs for the hull and add other lighting as appropriate. It’s not as challenging as you may think.

Hallo @Farnarkle
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

How is your work on the Titanic going?

Back