Lees question

In Lees' "Masting and rigging......." in the belaying sections he refers to halliards usually as "halliards of the 'xxxxx'". Sometimes he just says "Halliards". In that case what kind of halliards is he talking about? Hope that's clear, I'll try harder if necessary :)

PS- Maybe what I mean is what does the term "halyard (or halliard)" normally refer to?

Last edited:
In sailing, a halyard or halliard is a line (rope) that is used to hoist a ladder, sail, flag, or yard. When Lee referred to 'XXXX' he meant halyard\s to hoist specific attributes, for example, yard or sail, IMHO

Except he doesn't mention the specific use. He just says "halliard". For example on pg 177 under "Rigging of the fore topsail yard" the first heading is "Halliard" and where it belays. No mention of what it is. He must be making an assumption that I will know which halliard it is. I think it's the tye halliard but I don't know for sure.

I may be missing something here but I THINK it is the fore topsail yard halliard of the tie. Depending on the era there could have been a single that went to the port side, and later one port and one starboard when there were twin ties.

Allan

Back