LEXINGTON BUILD

This is my first build and am certainly open to comments as I need all the help I can get. I planked the hull with walnut and I think I'll do the deck and masts in mahogany. I bought this kit back in the early 80's so I figured it was about time to get with it.

IMG_3747.JPGIMG_3748.JPGIMG_3749.JPGIMG_3750.JPGIMG_3751.JPG

This is my first build and am certainly open to comments as I need all the help I can get. I planked the hull with walnut and I think I'll do the deck and masts in mahogany. I bought this kit back in the early 80's so I figured it was about time to get with it.

Hallo and welcome here on board.
I think you should start a building log topic of the build and we can assist you when ever necessary and requested....

Looks good from what you have showed us.

Only comment I have on exterior hull planking is t check your plans for what is called a Whale Plank.

Normally one or two very heavy beam planks located at widest part of ships hull, below the deck level.

these heavy planks are main support on most ships and usually twice as thick as main planking.

Not knowing this specific ship it may not have Whales installed which then is not a problem.

Keep the posts coming and welcome aboard the forums.

Don't feel afraid to ask questions before you start a task you don't understand what its for or how to do it.

Many old hands here who can provide help and comments as you go.

I did the lexington many years ago, from the LUMBERYARD and the practorium by Dr CLAY FELDMAN nice kit turned out a fairly nice model if memory serves me the only problem i had was to get the corect size from the practorium to match the kit had to take the keel from the kit to an architectural blue print Co. to get it right finally did, other then that nice project still have it in a plxiglass case will post pictures of it, one of my better models. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

I did the lexington many years ago, from the LUMBERYARD and the practorium by Dr CLAY FELDMAN nice kit turned out a fairly nice model if memory serves me the only problem i had was to get the corect size from the practorium to match the kit had to take the keel from the kit to an architectural blue print Co. to get it right finally did, other then that nice project still have it in a plxiglass case will post pictures of it, one of my better models. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don
at this point I don't know enough to recognize when something is wrong so please comment freely.

Back