Lifts

I'm now working on the lifts. Where the lift comes down through the top it rubs against the edge of the lubber hole. (see the blue arrow and temp green rope in the pic) This doesn't seem right as it would fray the rope eventually. None of the books I have mention this, but Mondfeld does show the same thing on pg 314. I've measured everything twice and all the parts seem to be the right size but there is no way I can get the lift to go in a straight line without cutting away most of the top. Can I trust Mondfeld on this one?

DSC04828.JPG

I was looking to see how many blocks I should hang under the top and went to Dan Vadas' build over on MSW because I knew there was a good picture there. While I was counting the holes I noticed two long slots. I realized that these slots were right where the lifts would have to go through. I can find no explanation for them and I don't know if Dan cut those slots on his own to get around the same problem I was having or if he had some info from somewhere but I think I will copy him. It seems like the solution.

Picture from Dan's log on MSW
post-4-0-58527400-1417205329_thumb.jpg

Assuming your yards were always at 90 degrees this would be perfect. But when the yards need to rotate on the mast, I think the strain through those slots would be worse on the lift rope and the mast top itself. I am sure someone else has an opinion on the subject.

Assuming your yards were always at 90 degrees this would be perfect. But when the yards need to rotate on the mast, I think the strain through those slots would be worse on the lift rope and the mast top itself. I am sure someone else has an opinion on the subject.
The part of the rope I'm concerned with is from the block on the cap down to the deck. This part doesn't swing with the yard.

The going down lift line goes through top opening.

View attachment 434042
YT, I've seen that drawing and the one in Mondfeld but the fact that it would rub on the opening is what is bothering me. The slots in the top eliminate the rubbing. After seeing Vadas' fix I went looking at other Swan series builds and couldn't see any similar slots. Doesn't mean they weren't there. If anyone that is reading this has access to the Swan DVD or plans could they look and see if the slots are there or not.
Thanks

The part of the rope I'm concerned with is from the block on the cap down to the deck. This part doesn't swing with the yard.
I see your point. Run a line through a slot and see what you think. There are miles of rope on ships and at some point, they will rub against something.

I guess that just because a rope is touching something it doesn't necessarily mean that it's rubbing, but I think that if I was the captain I would have it moved but then I may have a mutiny :)

Back