Lindberg's Columbus Ship Nina in 1/144 by Sig Ep Ziggy

This will be my first build log! I can't express how exciting this for me personally. I have an issue with just being an observer and not finishing projects I start. I plan on changing that cycle here on SOS.

I wanted to build a sailing ship. I have several in my stash, but could not pass on this bargain.

I found the Ships of Columbus by Lindberg at Hobby Lobby, regular price $33 on clearance for $8!

phone photos I 081.jpg

I decided on the Nina to start on. I found these two photos online for an inspiration on how I want my model to look.

Nina model 2.jpg

Nina Caravel.jpg

We will see how she turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo Shane,
great that you started this building log of the Three models - starting with the Nina.
I will follow your trilogy with big interest

I started to modify the Lindberg parts. I did not like the molded on ladders and the third deck. So I removed them where the arrows point.
I also sanded the main deck and cut a piece of styrene to extend it. I also removed the ladder going thru the rear hatch.
I plan on modifying the masts as well with the large block at the top of them. Not really sure if this is the way it will look just yet.

phone photos I 014.jpg
phone photos I 015.jpg
phone photos I 016.jpg

Anyhow, it's a start and has been fun so far, I plan on working on the hull next. I am going to plank the decks with .010 styrene.

Last edited:
Uwek, I tried to fix my first post and was wanting to know if I did my second post correctly.
Yes - now they are uploaded and can not be lost any more - please also click on "Full Image" and not "Thumbnail" when you decided where in the text the photos should be (I did it for you in the first post)
Great - I am looking for a highly interested building log - with a lot of photos ;)

Well, I did work on the hull. I'll call it improvements, but maybe it's to much work for such a small model. My understanding is that no one knows for sure, what these ships looked like. That would explain the different images and models out there. I will rig her with triangular sail instead of square rigged as she was after her refit on the Azores.

I removed the ribs on the interior half of the hull, as there were too many and too small. I want to relocate the decks, so I removed the locator pins as well as the ejector pin marks. I removed the rudder so I could fit it with a tiller. As well as creating an opening for said tiller.

Phone Pics II 006.jpg

On the exterior, I filled the cannon holes with sprue and removed the locator pin for the surface mount anchors. Also, I wanted a railing on the upper deck. so I removed part of the piece, saving the top rail.

Phone Pics II 007.jpg

Any advise or opinions are welcome.

Last edited:
I found some plans for the Nina and want to use them as a guide for more changes.

La Nina plans II.jpg

I will try to make my ship resemble these plans.

I will put a slight curve on the side of the ship as well as the main deck. Raise the front of second deck, create ribs and stanchions. I plan to use wood for the masts and yards. I experimented making rings out of wire, but they look out of scale, how small can I go. We will find out!

A modeling friend made some draughts (3 plates in of the Nina

Maybe they could be of some help

his mail to get in contact with him: eugen.t@kabelbw.de
say him regards

104377 f634t1979p123103n2_HXuGVvkf.jpg

f634t1979p123103n4_WVAGjLgY.jpg

I met him some months ago during a modelers meeting in Germany and made these photos of the drawings

IMG_23421.jpg

IMG_23441.jpg

IMG_23431.jpg

I haven't forgotten about my Nina. I ordered the Amati plans from Age of Sails and am waiting for them. I ordered all three of the ships. I am still trying to come up with a method of making planks out of the .010 styrene I have. That's all for now.

Back