Line drawings

How does someone get line drawings to scratch build a model? Thanks in advance

This is the most difficult and at the same time an easy question to answer. It starts with deciding what ship you want to build the model from. Then research all available documentation and possibly line drawings. For most famous ships there is a great chance for the books written to accompany the plans and drawings. For less famous ships, research information would be necessary but not guaranteed. In such cases, it is possible to recreate lines using modern technology.

This being said, many modelers choose their next models for ships whose plans and documentation are already researched and available.

Here are some services. There are book series that come with the line drawings.

The other possibility is that many of the manufacturers of kits often offer just their plans for sale if you wish to make a model of an existing kit, but don't want to purchase the kit.

Do you mean where to find the resources? Where you can find line drawings ?
Depending also from which time period you are looking for? Or you have a special ship which you want to build?
In my youth I had a herreshoff rocinante canoe yawl.to me that is one of the most beautiful line drawings ever. After I posted I found the complete building plan for $375. To much for a model. Thanks for the resource

In my youth I had a herreshoff rocinante canoe yawl.to me that is one of the most beautiful line drawings ever. After I posted I found the complete building plan for $375. To much for a model. Thanks for the resource
This one?

Rozinante.jpg

How does someone get line drawings to scratch build a model? Thanks in advance
1. You can start with ancre.fr.
2. ancre.fr has 50 or so "monographs" on various ships. A monograph is a collection of info sources
about one particular vessel.
3. They do have some "beginner's" models.

Back