Long tackle/fiddle block

Are a fiddle block and a long tackle block the same thing?
well...by definition a long tackle block is - a block that has a long assemblage of ropes and pulleys.

1701391926018.png

an 'A' image is the simple block tackle, and the 'B' image is a long tackle (compound), it has more ropes and blocks. Any block with a double pulley or more would be considered a long tackle block as it requires more rope. Personally, I would consider a violin tackle as long by definition, but the long tackles have endless possibilities.

Both images refer to the Violin tackle, but only the image on the right uses the violin (fiddle) blocks.

1701392540511.png

Thanks Jim. I'm looking at Steel and you can see that the block seems to be named a "long tackle block". Bottom left, Stay and Preventer stay. I thought it just may be another name for fiddle block. I realize that it is used in a long tackle but this is under the "species" column. I couldn't get the whole page in the screen shot.

Screenshot (20).png

I was looking for block dimensions in Steel and found this

"LONG-TACKLE-BLOCK. The shell is made of ash or elm, two-thirds longer than the proportion for a single block; as it is similar to two single blocks joined together endways; one to be two-thirds less than the other. They are used for tackles, and are made agreeably to the size of the rope, as other single blocks. They are used in the royal-navy, and East-India service, as yard-tackles; but in the merchant-service, as loading-tackles."

Sounds like the description of a fiddle block :)

I've always interpreted Long Blocks as ones like this:
1702443352460.png
Also called Lift Blocks: From HiSModel: These blocks were used on older types of ships such as Wasa or 7 Provinces. They were used for hanging and guiding the liftrope on the main boom. The overall length of the blocks is longer than that of a conventional blocks by the rope attachment holes.

I believe long blocks only have a single sheave. I am using these on some of my Carrack sails' lifts.

While Violin or Fiddle Blocks have two different size sheaves:
1702443532924.png

Back