looking at kits for my next project.

Obviously , there are soooo many to chose from !! I'm not even near finishing the one I've started.
But I'm enjoying it so much that I can't wait to sit down and keep working on it..
however , I have came across a few I really like.. ok, way more than a few LOL but searching for what people seem to say are good kits.

what is every ones opinion regarding Caldercraft ???
I like the HMS AGAMEMNON and the HMS DIANA.. a few more too, but these two cough my attention.. any one with experience building these ??
doesn't look like any of them have sails ?? no one here sells them, so I'd have to order online..

I could see myself working on two ships at some point, did that with planes all the time, just to change things up a little when a section becomes long to finish.. :)
or is there another better brand builders prefer ??
my only experience is with artesanian latina.. which I think are ok, not super clear at times lol and one needs to sit back and calculate, research a while before moving forward..
but overall , so far so good :)

steph

Hallo Steph,
with the models produced by Caldercraft / Jotika you will not make a mistake, if you buy them.
High quality with the material, timber and also fittings, ropes etc. + very good drawings and also good manuals.
They produce really higher end kits.
The Diana I do not have, but the Agamemnon I already showed once in a kit review some time ago:

Also the scale of 1:64 usually Caldercraft is producing is in my opinion still big enough to show enough details.

The kits are worth the money

thanks guys for the info :)

Uwek, I've been looking over and over at the review and pictures. Indeed it looks like an amazing kit..

Brian, thanks for suggestion :)
I've been reading more and more about them and looking at other kits as well..
the Agamemnon would be awesome but the size might be a little too big in the end :( at over 4 ft long !!!
maybe one day, I have a spare room that might be converted into my model room.
The Diana is just 10" longer then my Bounty..

If you don't mind me asking, are all Caldercraft models aimed more to the advanced builder??
what makes them more of a challenge ?
the challenge , dexterity, patience and attention to detail is not something that I worry about..
but are instructions easy to follow and all materials supplied ? , or do these kits require a lot of scratch building ?? this as well is not much of a concern, if information is there.. but good to know before hand..

Why does it have to be a kit? I know scratchbuilding is a lot easier and the results are rarely as good as can be obtained from a kit, but for me, the satisfaction is far greater!

Why does it have to be a kit? I know scratchbuilding is a lot easier and the results are rarely as good as can be obtained from a kit, but for me, the satisfaction is far greater!
Not easier at sll,and you need more tools ,of course we are not talking about miniature 1/1200 scale

I have never built a 1/1200 scale in my life! And I never mentioned scale at all! When I began modelmaking, I began with 8 feet to 1 inch brigantine Leon, using Harold A Underhill's instruction books Plank of Frame Models, volumes 1 and 2. My tools consisted of fretsaw, archimedian drill, knife and a couple of files. Wood didn't cost much either. In subsequent years, I tried the occasional kit, but found them too difficult and expensive! I built at 8 feet to 1 inch for years!

Medea.jpg
Medea - 8 feet to 1 inch. Fully framed with wood plating and individual wood planked decks. One of my early models, completed in 1965 -

I have never built a 1/1200 scale in my life! And I never mentioned scale at all! When I began modelmaking, I began with 8 feet to 1 inch brigantine Leon, using Harold A Underhill's instruction books Plank of Frame Models, volumes 1 and 2. My tools consisted of fretsaw, archimedian drill, knife and a couple of files. Wood didn't cost much either. In subsequent years, I tried the occasional kit, but found them too difficult and expensive! I built at 8 feet to 1 inch for years!
Ok,but most people should!!!start with a kit because not everyone can tackle a scratch to learn general skills

there are issues with first time scratch building. you need a wood working shop to cut down lumber and mill it into sizes for model building. This alone is a major issue. Then you have to source out workable plans or draw your own, make or source all the fittings and rigging. scratch building does not come with any instructions at all.

kits do have a big advantage for hobby builders because everything you need comes in the box.

it is difficult to say what kit is better because for the most part it depends on the builder and their skills. I have seen nice models built from poor kits and hack jobs done from good kits.
all instructions are about the same. consider belonging to the forum as you main source of information, there is a combined pool of knowledge that can answer any questions you have. Instructions are not that big of a concern if you are willing to post a build log, post pictures and ask questions.

what I suggest to you is pick what you like and as a team we will help you get it built

there are issues with first time scratch building. you need a wood working shop to cut down lumber and mill it into sizes for model building. This alone is a major issue. Then you have to source out workable plans or draw your own, make or source all the fittings and rigging. scratch building does not come with any instructions at all.

kits do have a big advantage for hobby builders because everything you need comes in the box.

it is difficult to say what kit is better because for the most part it depends on the builder and their skills. I have seen nice models built from poor kits and hack jobs done from good kits.
all instructions are about the same. consider belonging to the forum as you main source of information, there is a combined pool of knowledge that can answer any questions you have. Instructions are not that big of a concern if you are willing to post a build log, post pictures and ask questions.

what I suggest to you is pick what you like and as a team we will help you get it built
Of course,what if the builder has no room for scratch building ,maybe just a kithen table??

WOW, all great info, thanks to you all, Zoly, Dave and shipbuilder :)

In the past, one good example in my introduce yourself post.. was my 1/5 scale MK16 spitfire, which was scratch built (or plan built for a better description)
I say that because in the hobby, a true scratch build would require the builder to draw up his own plans.
with the plan, you have all the formers and details on the print, all the rest is up to you to source.. but you all know this lol
in my spare room work shop, I had a scroll saw, mini band saw, drill press and a bazillion tools .. It was fun and more enjoyable build too.
but it takes way way longer, in the end !! not cheaper that's for sure.. that spitfire cost me a little over 2500$ in materials and 8 months of daily work.. mind you, this is a radio control plane that flies, so everything has to be precise and perfect or the maiden flight will be it's last hehehe .
it might be cheaper building a ship from scratch ??? with good plans and info as to where sourcing all the needed parts are, maybe one day, but for now, that extra time needed to make the parts to perfection, I feel that I'm not quite ready for that step :-D I do think I could succeed , but just too time consuming at the moment.
where as, with the kit, everything should be there unless better or modification are needed by choice..
I do see the fun in scratch building.. but would need to buy back some of the tools.. my scroll saw has seen better days, press drill dies years ago and the mini band saw is out of wack, blade keep jumping off the wheels ??

but with all the great builders here, as Dave said, I have no worries that help is just like having you all at the work table with me :)

Zoltan,
I think you know it is pretty obvious what I am going to say now:D If the builder has no room to scratchbuild - just the kitchen table - just build smaller, and I don't mean the almost microscopic 1200/1 models. There are plenty of plans in books, so no problem there either - very few tools and materials are required, but I do agree, if you think it is too difficult, you would probably find it so.
9 (Large).JPG
I am simply suggesting a cheap and more convenient form of ship modelling, and I can assure you, it really is easier, less expensive, and less time-consuming than making large ones.

Last edited:
Here is an enomous one that I built on a small table. The frames were made individually, and the hull planked with 1/16th inch thick obeche wood planks. It was radio controlled. Mandalay on lawn (Large).jpg

cool, looks well detailed, must be nice seeing it on the water. since you mention RC, I was watching videos of tall ships all RC shooting mini cannons at eachother on youtube over the weekend.. there were some from WW2 as well.. interesting to watch, don't think they have as much details on them, who would want to shoot up their ship after all that work ??

If you don't mind me asking, are all Caldercraft models aimed more to the advanced builder??
what makes them more of a challenge ?
the challenge , dexterity, patience and attention to detail is not something that I worry about..
but are instructions easy to follow and all materials supplied ? , or do these kits require a lot of scratch building ?? this as well is not much of a concern, if information is there.. but good to know before hand..
Coming back to the original subject - kits from Caldercraft

The Caldercraft models are in principle not more for advanced modelers - NO - due to the fact, that they are well prepared, in my opinion these kits are well prepared for the beginner and the intermediate up to the high end modeler.
The question is more the size of the model or the original ship.
Bigger one´s, like the Agamemnon or Diana will need much more time than one of the one or two masted models from Caldercraft.

In the kizs of Caldercraft - small ships like the Ballahoo up to the biggest, the Victory - all materials are included - so you can built out of the box the complete vessel, incl. masts, yards and complete rigging (with blocks, ropes etc.)
The only thing what is in Caldercraft kits never included (I think) are the sails.
The instructions are well prepared, with dozens of pages - so very good quality here (also the drawings) when you compare to other producers.

In addition you can find on their web-page some building logs and further information of some of their kits

and f.e. a description of a prototype construction

Partly helpful for the construction of the Caldercraft kits are also some books from Keith Julier named "Period Ship Handbook"

Here you can find some Book Reviews:

cool, looks well detailed, must be nice seeing it on the water. since you mention RC, I was watching videos of tall ships all RC shooting mini cannons at eachother on youtube over the weekend.. there were some from WW2 as well.. interesting to watch, don't think they have as much details on them, who would want to shoot up their ship after all that work ??
I never sailed the steamer - eventually gave it away! I am not really into R/C. Built a schooner, and sailed it once. Anyway, it looks like I have got well off topic, so I will depart, knowing next to nothing about kits or warships! :D

Back