Lord Nelson Victory Tug - anyone built this?

Hi all,
I'm thinking of maybe building the Dumas Lord Nelson Victory Tug. Has anyone built this? Any thoughts??
Thanks,
Carl

Hi Carl, it's me again. I built the LN Victory Tug about 15 years ago. The instructions were a bit primitive, although I understand they have been up graded. It is the kit boat I am most proud of. The planked hull will be the biggest challenge. I recently saw the full size boat docked at a berth in Hessel, MI on Lake Huron. It looked pretty much exactly like my finished kit, except for a different paint scheme. I recommend it!

Don

Hi Carl, I have also been contemplating the Lord Nelson I find it very attractive but I wish that it was a bit larger, I find that larger models up to 1500mm long look better and more in scale when on the water with smaller craft bobbing about too much and loosing some realism. But having said that I look forward to seeing your progress should you proceed.

Hi Carl, it's me again. I built the LN Victory Tug about 15 years ago. The instructions were a bit primitive, although I understand they have been up graded. It is the kit boat I am most proud of. The planked hull will be the biggest challenge. I recently saw the full size boat docked at a berth in Hessel, MI on Lake Huron. It looked pretty much exactly like my finished kit, except for a different paint scheme. I recommend it!

Don
Hi Don,

Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember you mentioning this on a previous exchange when I was building the Ulisses. Thanks for the input...I may do this kit.

By the way, how are you progressing on the Myrtle Corey?

Regards,
Carl

Hi Carl, having just looked at some video and relooked at some shots of the Dumas LN kit and I take back what I said about scale, Shifting from Imperial to Metric scale I do some times manage to confuse myself , I now think that the scale is fine and at 37 inches it is exactly the same size as my much loved and much sailed Tippecanoe T37, I have been wanting to build a tug for sometime and I may just end up joining you withthe Lord Nelson, Keep us posted.
Tony

Hi Carl, having just looked at some video and relooked at some shots of the Dumas LN kit and I take back what I said about scale, Shifting from Imperial to Metric scale I do some times manage to confuse myself , I now think that the scale is fine and at 37 inches it is exactly the same size as my much loved and much sailed Tippecanoe T37, I have been wanting to build a tug for sometime and I may just end up joining you withthe Lord Nelson, Keep us posted.
Tony
Hi Tony,
I will keep you posted. It may be a while, since my next project-in-waiting is a scratch built caboose from about 1940. But once i get started on the Lord Nelson, I will be posting here.

Carl--I am attaching a pdf of my build log for the Lord Nelson Victory Tug, which was started in March 2010, way before I joined Ships of Scale! It may help you decide to build the Tug...or not. BTW a question came up from Tony about the size of the tug. I measured my completed model and it is 28 1/4 inches (71.8 cm) in length with a 9 1/4 inch (23.5 cm) beam.

Don

Attachments

• Dumas Lord Nelson Tug_II_sm.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 262
Hi Don, Thank you for attaching your ‘build’ of the Lord Nelson, Facsinating to see the project progress and your useful comments about improving on some of the details and your reference to some of the difficult bits
I now realise that my confusion relating to size was my misreading of 37’ as 37” in other words the 37’ refers to the real craft not the model which is as you point out 28”
You have reminded me that each project becomes a personal journey of discovery, How to build, how to resolve errors and all those small personal choices about what is good enough or when something really has to be scrapped and started again and the little bits that didn’t quite go the way they should but only you know about and no one else will ever notice.
You have built a fine model that actually goes to sea and looks great. Congratulations and thank you again for sharing.
Regards,
Tony

Carl--I did not answer your question about progress on the Myrtle Cory. What with it being summer, yard work, travel, and other activities have gotten in the way of modeling. Thus, progress has been slow. I am at the final steps before I put in the water, but I need a few rainy days to complete these steps. I anticipate that in another month I will be finished.

Don

Loved your build log, especially the crew.
When I first saw this thread I thought the Victory actually had a tugboat, which I had a hard time picturing. This led me to wonder how these large warships managed to navigate harbors and docking. Harbors must have had pilots back then, but maneuvering them before the age of steam must have been a nightmare. Anyone know how they managed?
Everybody loves a tugboat

Back