Lowell Grand banks Dory 1:24 scale

Hello All, It finally arrived. I already had to make a repair. One of the frames came off and snapped a small piece off. I was still in the bag and I was able to see it before it was lost. Anyway this is the start of my log.Grand banks Dory.jpg

looking forward to the build. So annoying when things are broken before you even start

First of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Happy to see, that you started this building log - and I am crossing the fingers, that this small repair will be the only one during the modeling of this interesting kit

Made some progress today. Only had to glue each piece in twice! The big difference between this type of modeling and tanks/planes is you have to learn what each piece is called. I now know what a transom, stern knee, and stern cleat are. I guess that is part of the learning process.dory 3.jpg

Here is an update on my progress. Added the braces then glued in the bottom. I had to shim up the braces to get them to be square. I used a piece of paper folded over on one side.
dory 4 (2).jpgdory 4 (3).jpg

After a bunch of sanding I glued in the first plank. I had to make some brace blocks to get the rubber bands to press equally on the plank. I also made an adapter for the other side to make the band tighter.

dory 4 (1).jpg

dory 4 (4).jpg

dory 4 (5).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After a bunch of sanding I glued in the first plank. I had to make some brace blocks to get the rubber bands to press equally on the plank. I also made an adapter for the other side to make the band tighter.
Long line fishing dories have a colorful past that you can be thinking about as your build progresses. Glad to see your start and will watch the advancement. Did you see the YouTube posting that I put up a day or so ago showing the dories being prepped, launched, and then in use with an excellent narrative? Brings the little boat to life. Thanks for the log to follow along. Rich (PT-2)

Long line fishing dories have a colorful past that you can be thinking about as your build progresses. Glad to see your start and will watch the advancement. Did you see the YouTube posting that I put up a day or so ago showing the dories being prepped, launched, and then in use with an excellent narrative? Brings the little boat to life. Thanks for the log to follow along. Rich (PT-2)
No, I will have to make sure to watch it this evening as I work on the next plank.

View attachment 195813

View attachment 195815

View attachment 195816
Your rubber band tensioning jig is creative. Good idea with the added outriggers. I have been using various wood blocks and large erasers, (not for dories but planking where clips don't work.. Rich (PT-2)

Hello All, It finally arrived. I already had to make a repair. One of the frames came off and snapped a small piece off. I was still in the bag and I was able to see it before it was lost. Anyway this is the start of my log.
Hallo @dpeno ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Your rubber band tensioning jig is creative. Good idea with the added outriggers. I have been using various wood blocks and large erasers, (not for dories but planking where clips don't work.. Rich (PT-2)
I like the eraser idea. The problem is the black clips are to strong to use in some cases. What would be nice is a bunch of small "C" clamps. That way you could adjust the tension. I wonder if they could be 3D printed with small m3 screws. Has anyone tried that?

I found this on thingaverse and modified it to use an M3 screw and nut. I think it needs to be modified a bit more to make the left side a bit thinner, so it will fit into small openings, but it looks like it should work.

Attachments

• 20201210_120734.jpg
    20201210_120734.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 1
Back