L'Unité - 1:48 - French Frigate - 1794 - under build

Head (ship's toilet) - From the site : Naval History and Heritage Command

" The use of the term "head" to refer to a ship's toilet dates to at least as early as 1708, when Woodes Rogers (English privateer and Governor of the Bahamas) used the word in his book, A Cruising Voyage Around the World. Another early usage is in Tobias Smollett's novel of travel and adventure, Roderick Random, published in 1748. "Head" in a nautical sense referring to the bow or fore part of a ship dates to 1485. The ship's toilet was typically placed at the head of the ship near the base of the bowsprit, where splashing water served to naturally clean the toilet area ".

Fellows, can you imagine the comfort in using the heads, considering bad weather , rain, snow, and splashing water ???

L'UNITÉ HEADS -

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

L'Unité - Designed by Pierre-Alexander Forfait and built in Le Havre ( Normandy ) in 1794.
Originally classified as a Corvette, with a 218 crew complement , it was armed with 32 - 8 pounder french gun, later rearmed with more powerful guns, and classified as Frigate.
It was a highly successful project, recognized for its excellent navigability and speed.
Captured by the English frigate HMS Inconstant ( 1796 ), she was renamed HMS Surprise in the Royal Navy, and sold in 1802.

I started my model, from the L'Unité original plans provided by the National Maritime Museum / Greenwich , some parts of the Artesania Latina kit / H.M.S. Surprise, a lot of research in the Musée National de la Marine ( Paris ) , and Jean Boudriot's book collection.

Photos : copper plates
Hallo @Luiz B. F. Grassi
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Luiz,
Such a fantastic build! I'm getting ready to start the AL HMS Surprize in 1:48. I've been sitting on this kit 10 yrs I think. You have set the bar very high here! Hope I can do it justice!

Back