L'Unité - 1:48 - French Frigate - 1794 - under build

Looking very good - very good work on the Unité Thumbsup

Looks like I almost missed an interesting assembly. Join to watch. Louis, great job. The threads would still be replaced with better ones. But this is me, grumbling :)

L'Unité - Designed by Pierre-Alexander Forfait and built in Le Havre ( Normandy ) in 1794.
Originally classified as a Corvette, with a 218 crew complement , it was armed with 32 - 8 pounder french gun, later rearmed with more powerful guns, and classified as Frigate.
It was a highly successful project, recognized for its excellent navigability and speed.
Captured by the English frigate HMS Inconstant ( 1796 ), she was renamed HMS Surprise in the Royal Navy, and sold in 1802.

I started my model, from the L'Unité original plans provided by the National Maritime Museum / Greenwich , some parts of the Artesania Latina kit / H.M.S. Surprise, a lot of research in the Musée National de la Marine ( Paris ) , and Jean Boudriot's book collection.

Photos : copper plates
Hallo @Luiz B. F. Grassi
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello Ruiz. First of all i wish you a Happy Birthday Birthday-Cake
I just stumbled on your building log, i missed it till now but will follow your further progress with interest. Great workmanship.

Excellent work! Nice details.
One question about the stove: There is an insulated pipe running to a bucket. Did they reuse the condensated water vapour?
Christian

Excellent work! Nice details.
One question about the stove: There is an insulated pipe running to a bucket. Did they reuse the condensated water vapour?
Christian
Hi Christian ! Yes, the heat from the stove was used to distill the salt water from the sea, which became drinkable fresh water.
The production capacity was small, around 60 to 80 liter per day. It was not enough to give fresh them water autonomy but it helped a lot.
Luiz Bruno

Back