Mail steamer

A British steamship that carried Royal Mail. They could also carry large numbers of passengers and general cargo, and lots of different companies had them. This was the RMS Armadale Castle, of the Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co, in which I served myself. I sailed in Transvaal Castle, Windsor Castle, Pretoria Castle, Edinburgh Castle, Pendennis Castle and Good Hope Castle. The were all mailships. Very unpopular amongs model shipbuilders, but greatly sought after by collecters. Here is the Armadale Castle complete.
Bob
Armadale Castle.JPG

Those are great, as usual your work is superb. Thanks for the information update. The only passenger type ships Ive sailed on were Military Transports in the early and mid 60's. Not the best of accommodations.

Jan

This is the last large mail steamer I sailed in, RMS Edinburgh Castle, 27,000 tons. After that, I sailed in three more mailships, but they were all much smaller, and diesel powered (RMMV - Royal Mail Motor Vessel). Namely Good Hope Castle, 10,500 tons, St Helena (I) 3,150 tons and finally St Helena (II) 6,500 tons. The last one, St Helena (II) carryied 132 passengers in one class.
Bob

Edinburgh Castle at Southampton (Large).JPG

This is a video of my last ship, RMS St. Helena, making here final departure from the island of St Helena in the South Atlantic. The last ocean-going British ship to carry the Royal Mail - Withdrawn from service last year when the islands first airport was opened - The end of an era.
The last few minute of the video are most impressive -

Bob you never cease to amaze me with you outstanding models in such a small scale.I wish I had one tenth of your ability to work on such small details.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks for replies,
Nigel, It is most likely that you do have the skills to build them, but the greatest obstacle for most ship model builder is the firm and irreversible decission that they cannot do it! Long ago, I built large models, but found them difficult, and time-consuming. I transferred literally overnight to making small ones, and found it much easier from the start, as a lot of it is illusion. Kits never gave me any satisfaction, and I disliked all that fancy decoration on ancient warships. I don't need to worry about hundreds of knots in the rigging, door handles, ringbolts, rivets etc, and everything I do uses special techniques designed to make it easier. The result is a unique model that, although it may not be as perectly built as an expensive kit model, is highly prized, and sought after by collecters because none of their fellow collecters have one. The barquentine Barden, below is a very simple model, but quite attractive. But the motor ship Imperial Star is extremely complictaed, because powered ships have far more intricate parts. BobImperial Star (Large).jpg

Barden.JPG

Thanks for the pictures. I used to visit the museum a lot when I was going there regularly between 1965 and 1992. I don't recall seeing the splendid Durham Castle model. Neptune and myself both sailed in the Windsor Castle, and the model brings many happy memories. I was there for a total of about 5 years, and my Avatar picture was taken aboard her on the boat deck.
Bob

You really do have beautiful models Bob, and the scale at which you build is most impressive. I have never built anything less than 1/8th scale and as the years go by, and cataracts in the eyes develop I may have to stick to larger scales. Your fine work means more ships, and I think that is the name of the game.;)

It is now over ten years since I was told I had cataracts, but as I said then "you could have fooled me!":) So I just ignored it, and carried on as usual. On the 3rd September last, I had major surgery in the right eye to reduce the pressure, and couldn't see very well for three weeks after that. Miss Morris is the first model I have built since then, and I can't say that I am having many problems with it, because I am building it to a much larger scale than previously (16 feet to 1 inch). For many years, I preferred 32 feet to 1 inch (1/384) see image below. I am hoping to get back to that scale, but must admit, the larger scale is easier. On Christmas Eve last, I was called in to hospital to have laser treatment to the left eye, also to reduce the pressure, so you can appreciate that sight-wise, things are far from perfect for me (I am almost 76 now)., but I will never ever build a kit, whatever the future holds in store for me - too expensive, too big, too difficult! :cool:
Bob

Wairoa in hand (Large).JPG

Absolutely beautiful and impressive work on that scale. My answer today for vision problems is just keep adding more lights to the work area. I guess I should look on the bright side, my hands do not shake.

Back