Making Cannon

Making long gun cannon and carriages

There were no less than seven long cannon patterns in the Royal Navy from about 1625 into the early nineteenth century. Each came in as many as six calibers. Each caliber came in as many as 9 lengths. This amounts to over 300 different barrels. Add just three of our most common scales and there are nearly 1000 different barrels. Add in the Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese and French pattens and there are multiple thousands. It is highly likely that model ship manufacturers cannot provide that many different guns in bronze or brass and make a profit so we as builders have had limited choices.

On the other hand we as model ship builders, can make or acquire any of these thousands of choices with relative ease and at costs that are a relatively low price per piece.

The most common cannon making methods with which I am familiar are below.

Turned brass - The below photo is a home made brass Blomefield cannon before being blackened. Making dozens of these is something I do not want to do again.
Cannon 1.jpg

Cast metal: The below is from a popular kit maker. I have no idea what pattern this is as it does not match any pattern I could find in any navy.
Cast metal barrel.jpg

Cast resin: Once the desired pattern/sized barrel is made or purchased it is not difficult to make as many as one needs with a home made silicone mold. The ones below are Blomefields
Finished barrels.jpg

3D printed
Relatively new technology compared to the above methods has made it possible to get any pattern, caliber, length and scale for less cost than any of the above three methods. The one below is an Armstrong Frederick barrel in 1:24 scale.
Finished 1.JPG

The following posts will go into details of the various methods. As always in our hobby, there are options from which to choose for each of us as our preferences do vary. Hopefully the following information will be useful for each of the methods described.

Allan

Last edited:
3D - and they can be drawn to spec in CAD prior to printing. Another advantage to 3D printing is you can print multiples at the same time. And in the slicing software, you can scale them up or down with ease. Note: there are quite a few sources for printable cannons, some sites even provide them with their historical relevance....20231230_123438.jpg20231230_123357.jpg20240114_062333.jpg20240114_062326.jpg

Last edited:
Note: there are quite a few sources for printable cannons, some sites even provide them with their historical revelance....
Thanks Phil,
Can you please list these sources? Based on the ones you posted I cannot find any contemporary sources with these particular barrel patterns so not sure what nation or year these are from.

Turned brass barrels
These are relatively easy to make with a metal turning lathe or can sometimes be contracted to a small machine shop near by that can make them for you. There are aftermarket sources but they are justifiably limited in the number of sizes they can inventory. Some examples
1: Aftermarket -On the first photo below there are seven rings as found on Armstrong and Armstrong Frederick patterns but there is no cypher, and no ring around the button. If they were to be Armstrong Frederick pattern barrels there would also be a vent field. The trunnions appear to be too small in diameter. They should not be used to represent Blomefields as there is no loop at the button and there is one too many rings. They do look very much like Borgard pattern (1716-1724) Some aftermarket vendors do offer cyphers that can be glued to the barrel. In this case they would take George I for the Borgard pattern.
Brass barrels after market 1.jpg
2. Aftermarket - I have no idea what this barrel represents. It has the number of rings found on Blomefields but there is no vent field or cypher, the button is far too small and there is no loop.
1717580724583.png
3. Home made Blomefield The cypher was painted on with tubed artist acrylics as it is quite viscous and can be found in various colors for brass or blackened barrels. Note that the trunnion is below the center line of the bore. Drilling the hole off center is a bit of a challenge, but not all that difficult to do.
Cannon 1.jpg

Cast barrels These can be made in pot metal or casting resin. There are some silicones that can be used for the hot metal as well as casting resin. I have also used plaster of Paris but am no fan of using this material. The molds are often seen in two halves for easy removal of the cast barrel. This invariably leaves a seam that needs to be filed and sanded. I have had success making single piece molds and have made a few dozen barrels before it begins to degrade.
To make a one piece mold step one is to mount the barrel as shown in the photo below. In this case the master is brass. Wood can be used but the turned master should be a very tight grained species and once turned it should be sealed and sanded several times otherwise wood grain will show on the cast barrels.
Cannon 2.jpg
A box is then built around the barrel into which the silicone will be poured. The sketch below shows a bit more information for a 1:48 scale barrel.
Cannon Sketch 1.jpg
Cannon 3.jpg
Once the silicone is cured the mold is removed from the box and the master barrel is pushed up and out through the top. The silicone is flexible enough to allow this without tearing.

I do like to put the mold into the box during the casting pour with at least three sides in tact to minimize flexing of the mold while handling and making the castings. The trunnions can be cast into the barrels but only with two piece molds. Suppliers of liquid casting resin have offered black dye in the past which allows one to avoid painting the barrels later.

Finished Blomefields
Finished barrels.jpg

Last edited:
Ok...in Google enter: `3D printing ship's cannon' and you'll see a big selection available. YEGGI, Cults3d, CGTrader, Thingiverse and Printables for a start....

3D printed cannon barrels.
First, thanks Phil, much appreciated.
I checked the first three websites and looked at the YEGGI Blomefields which unfortunately have a chase astragal which did not exist on Blomefields, based on drawings in Caruana's Volume 2 of The History of English Sea Ordnance. Sadly the carriages are also incorrectly designed. Cults3d show the same picture with the incorrect design and other cannon barrels look nothing like actual patterns that I could find. CGTrader has the same picture. Happily Thingiverse shows a drawing which looks spot on.

I find it better to email correctly drawn STLs to a small shop in the US and have had my cannons made to the drawings within two weeks. Prices have never been over $15 including freight for 20 barrels at 1:64. It has been over a year since I placed my last order with them so they may be a bit higher by now.

I have a collection of seventy -eight 3D drawings from Pitt pattern to Blomefields that can be used at various scales so covers several hundred calibers, lengths, and patterns. To date I only have Carronades, and Spanish and French long guns in 2D but hopefully someone will want these and use them to prepare accurate 3D drawings that 3D printers can use.

When I get my barrels printed I have them done in black resin so they do not require painting. Larger scales do show some markings from resin flow in which case I do give several coats of a flat black paint. I have not yet had any printed in bronze color but I have seen that brass or bronze colored resins are available for 3D printing.

3D drawings cannot be attached here otherwise I would do so for anyone that wants to use them.

Next up - Carriages

Allan

Last edited:
Before going into carriages the following is a group of drawings of various patterns with dates they were mostly in use that may help in selecting barrels for a build. While the British group is pretty much complete, to date these are the only reliable Spanish patterns I have found. I would love to see additional Spanish, French, Dutch and others from about 1500-1800 if anyone has them.
Cannon pattern comparison.PNG

Carriage designs varied with era and country. My main interest has been English ships from the 17th to the early 19th century so most of the research findings deal with that area. Prior to the era when four trucks (wheels) were incorporated some carriages had two trucks at the front of the carriage and skids that were part of the bed or brackets instead of rolling trucks at the rear.
Carriage with skids.jpg

Bed and Truck Carriages
There is very little in the way of drawings that I could find for carriages prior to 1721. If anyone has drawings prior to 1721, based on contemporary sources, please jump in.

Early versions of carriages with four trucks had beds that extended beyond the edge of the brackets on all sides. From Lavery's The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War, page 127: "They differed from later design in several respects. The bed was very large, extending beyond the brackets in all directions. The axles were mounted above the bed, whereas in later versions they were usually mounted below it. They were quite complex in construction, and seem to have been individually tailored. "

The following is based on Richard Endsor's a picture of a carriage from the HMS London 1656 in The Master Shipwright's Secrets, page.266
Carriage from HMS London 1665.JPG
I could not find any contemporary drawings of the earliest carriages other than the one below from 1691 which is quite simple in its rendition.

Carriage 1691.jpg

Thomas James' Book of Artillery has several carriages from 1721 and 1725. There is some confusion in his descriptions according to Adrian Caruana, but the drawings he shows are very similar and probably better than anything else most of us have seen for this time period. There was some redesign about 1725 but for our purposes and scales the most noticeable thing during this time period is that there is an extended bed whereas beds were eliminated on many new carriages starting around or just after 1730. I could not find anything on how early the extended beds were used, but as the bed is quite visible this is something to consider if the model is for a ship built prior to 1730.

A general note: Considering the era as early as the 16th century and then through the early 19th century, based on what contemporary information I could find to date, the brackets were never parallel to each other.

Carriage circa 1725.JPG

.​

Hello Allan,

At your request, I am posting below the side projections of a set of all extant carriages from the Swedish ship Solen 1624–1627. The reconstruction drawings, based on archaeological material, are done very accurately, down to a single nail. This graphic is reproduced from my rather extensive monographic article on the Solen's artillery, published in 2011.

Below are some very brief comments about the construction of these carriages that I have posted before elsewhere:

Out of the ship's complete armament of 20 guns, not even two barrels are identical (of Swedish, Russian and Polish origin). As well, not even two carriages are similar in size, shape, decoration and design, each being individually built for a particular gun barrel. The iron fittings, too, are usually arranged differently in these seven surviving carriages. All parts of all the carriages are made from a single piece of oak. The same applies to the trucks (wheels), which were also found in fairly large numbers in the spare parts storeroom. The fibres of the larger front trucks are always parallel to the side brackets, while the fibres of the smaller rear trucks are always perpendicular to them.

Both cannons and carriages from the Solen 1627 shipwreck have a lot of interesting details, but as a curiosity I will only mention that the diameter of the trunnions ranges from ¾ to 1 calibre, with a predominance in the lower range.

There are some more graphics from the era, but here I will still include the plate N from the work of Å. C. Rålamb, Skeps Byggerij eller Adelig Öfnings Tionde Tom, Stockholm 1691, rep. Malmö 1943.

Solen's 1627 Artillery - Okręty 2011-7 - Gurgul W. - Solen jakiego nie znamy. Ultima ratio regum.jpg

Skeps Byggerij - Tafl.N.jpg

.​

What is Szlanga?

:)

In a broader sense, it is one of several linguistic variants of the Germanic term schlange, which was used to describe a family of long-barreled guns (as opposed to short-barreled cartauns/cannons). This is the perfect equivalent of the term coulevrine used in the Romanic languages in the same meaning. Here, in a narrower sense, a 3/4-slanga (Swedish term) is a 6-pdr cannon. In this particular system of this particular time there were still, for example, 1/2-slanga (3-pdr gun) and field slanga (10-pdr gun).

Cheers

Hmmm, never considered all the different variables in cannons. This is a very good article and information.

Great article, well researched and presented. Perhaps we should try to accumulate STL files of the various designs for common use. I have some Blomfield, Armstrong and Constitution barrels which I could offer. The great thing about the STLs is they can be stretched and shortened to give good approximations of most any length and caliber. The cascabel can get a bit distorted this way, but in our scales is usually not noticeable.

3D printed cannon barrels.
First, thanks Phil, much appreciated.
I checked the first three websites and looked at the YEGGI Blomefields which unfortunately have a chase astragal which did not exist on Blomefields, based on drawings in Caruana's Volume 2 of The History of English Sea Ordnance. Sadly the carriages are also incorrectly designed. Cults3d show the same picture with the incorrect design and other cannon barrels look nothing like actual patterns that I could find. CGTrader has the same picture. Happily Thingiverse shows a drawing which looks spot on.

I find it better to email correctly drawn STLs to a small shop in the US and have had my cannons made to the drawings within two weeks. Prices have never been over $15 including freight for 20 barrels at 1:64. It has been over a year since I placed my last order with them so they may be a bit higher by now.

I have a collection of seventy -eight 3D drawings from Pitt pattern to Blomefields that can be used at various scales so covers several hundred calibers, lengths, and patterns. To date I only have Carronades, and Spanish and French long guns in 2D but hopefully someone will want these and use them to prepare accurate 3D drawings that 3D printers can use.

When I get my barrels printed I have them done in black resin so they do not require painting. Larger scales do show some markings from resin flow in which case I do give several coats of a flat black paint. I have not yet had any printed in bronze color but I have seen that brass or bronze colored resins are available for 3D printing.

3D drawings cannot be attached here otherwise I would do so for anyone that wants to use them.

Next up - Carriages

Allan
Hello Allan,

I wonder if you could send me the name and or contact info for the shop(s) you use for your 3D printing?

Gordon

Perhaps we should try to accumulate STL files of the various designs for common use. I have some Blomfield, Armstrong and Constitution barrels which I could offer.
Thanks Signet. I do not have any Connie barrel drawings. I have 3D drawings of Browne, Commonwealth, Borgard, Armstrong, Armstrong Frederick, Blomefield, and Spanish pattern cannon but would welcome more in a collection that can be shared in some way.
Allan

Carriages for Armstrong and Armstrong Fredericks are below. Note the extra ring in the Armstrong Frederick carriage, the differences in the axles and the presence of the iron stays (axle supports) on the Armstrong Frederick carriage.
Armstrong and Armstrong Frederick Carriages.PNG

Last edited:
Back