Tutorial Making Hinges - Tutorial

looks beautiful Exclamation-MarkOkay
I would appreciate an explanation accompanied by photos of the process of creating these amazing hinges .
Ok! I hope this little tutorial will help you to understand how I make the small hinges:
I use a very thin sheet of metal cut into strips of a suitable size:

01.jpg
02.jpg

This metal strip folds back on itself:
03.jpg

to create the hinge I use a very fine drill bit that I insert into the end of the folded metal sheet:
04.jpg
05.jpg

Then with flat nose pliers I gently squeeze to create the shape around the hinge:
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg

Now with a very fine grinding wheel I shape the hinge:
09.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg

Now simply insert a pin of the appropriate size:
12.jpg

This is definitely a Master class. I appreciate the lesson and coincidently I am at the stage of my build where I need hinges. Thank you.

Brilliant and really well explained.
I have been working on making my hinges (about the same size) by soldering a tiny piece of hollow brass rod onto a thin brass strip to wrap around the edge of the door. I was making them like rudder pintles but of course they stand off the door and make a gap between door and door jamb.
Your idea is perfect and I will scrap what I have done and start making them your way. I hope mine turn out as good as yours!

Brilliant and really well explained.
I have been working on making my hinges (about the same size) by soldering a tiny piece of hollow brass rod onto a thin brass strip to wrap around the edge of the door. I was making them like rudder pintles but of course they stand off the door and make a gap between door and door jamb.
Your idea is perfect and I will scrap what I have done and start making them your way. I hope mine turn out as good as yours!
thank you!
You'll see that, with a little practice, you'll be fine and this method will be more relevant to the scale!
it is wonderful that a simple idea can reach the other side of the globe! :)

thank you!
You'll see that, with a little practice, you'll be fine and this method will be more relevant to the scale!
it is wonderful that a simple idea can reach the other side of the globe! :)
Yes, I often wonder where the next post is coming from. Ships of Scale is a wonderful resource for people the world over.
I've started on the hinges doing them your way but I haven't managed to get them small enough for scale yet. I'm enjoying the learning process and I'll put up some images when I refine them a bit better.
Once again, thanks for the great tutorial.

Hi Giampy65

I was following your build log and making my hinges from strips 3.24 mm wide as per your post, but they looked terrible on my doors. Then I went back over your build log and discovered that you are building in 1:36 scale. :confused:
So I have started again, making my hinges even smaller - 2.44 mm wide (or 4" in my scale of 1:48).
Hopefully my eyesight will see it through....
It's a great challenge and thank you for showing me a way it can be done, with care.

Your size at the top. Mine at the bottom.

IMG20231013171611.jpg

Back