making sculpture and ornament cheaply?

Hello, I wonder if it's possible to do the soleil royal sculpture without a lazer/3d printing tool since I don't have that, while reading Hubac's Historian build, it made me want to do that. I'll use it for other sail ship if I want to do more.
Thanks for your answers!

Hello,

To make a sculpture with a 3D printer, you must have the 3D model. A computer file that represents the object.
The figurehead of the Royal Sun that I 3D printed in a few hours took me 150 hours of 3D modeling.
The totality of the decorations of the Royal Sun must require much more than 1000 hours of modeling. It should be expensive ...

FdP_4-2.jpg

FdP_4-1.jpg

Bernard

Hi,
I have not read Hubac's Historian build but anything is possible.
I would think it all depends on skill level and what materials and tools you decide to use.
If using wood then it depends on your carving skills.
If using a form of clay then it will be up to your sculpting skills.
If you are like me I just try the best that I can even if I have to make it several times.

I'd like to do with what I have without having to spend so much (the kit already cost a lot of money itself). I'm unsure how I'm going to do the bouteilles too, the heller part don't seem to match this drawing.
post-26729-0-48796400-1481253293.jpeg

source: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/14...odification-and-partial-scratch-build/page/2/

I wish there was a shortcut to making good sculptures for decorations, but there really isn't. Like Martin555 said, you choose the method that best fits your skill set. I bough a resin 3-D printer because I have experience as a computer 3-D modeler, and my carving skills are weak. You have to decide is making these decorations is worth your time, like the rest of the ship model. Using kit castings limits you, both in detail and historical accuracy, but is the only way to avoid making them yourself. The difficulty and time expense of ship model decorations is, aside from rigging and planking, one of the greatest challenges in ship modeling, which is why so few people build these models.

I think I can use rhodoid for some parts of the sculpture/ornament (I got 2 sheets of it), I don't think it's be hard to do the dolphins, but it'll take me verry long knowing myself. Since I intend to do it as the original before the refit, I wonder if it'd be possible to keep the heller sculpture since we don't seem to be sure what they looked like at first.

I think I can use rhodoid for some parts of the sculpture/ornament (I got 2 sheets of it), I don't think it's be hard to do the dolphins, but it'll take me verry long knowing myself. Since I intend to do it as the original before the refit, I wonder if it'd be possible to keep the heller sculpture since we don't seem to be sure what they looked like at first.

Here you have scratch build of Soleil Royal in 1/140. He's making sculptures from some mass(MAGIC SCULPT)

Here you have scratch build of Soleil Royal in 1/140. He's making sculptures from some mass(MAGIC SCULPT)

So he's using this to do the sculpture https://www.oupsmodel.com/mastics-r...-366842-magic-sculpt-200gr-8436554366842.html I think it'd be easier for me to use that, especially for the multiple fleur de lis, I'll check if it's possible to do the doplhins using that. I'll see if I can take the heller brochure for extra help too

In the post #13 he shows how he copies the repetetive sculptures. I think making dolphines could be similar to making figures(people)- that you have dscribed on last pages

Last edited:
the czech modeler Doris Obručová is (in my and a lot of others) a master builder in card board models - and she is making her complete ornaments with this material sculpy

Take a look at this and you will see how she is working with this technique

I wonder how much do I need if I take magic sculpt, more than 100g? For sculpting, I think I'll use the tools my dentist gave me.
I do a bit of clay sculpting and you will be surprised what you can use to help you sculpt.
Any thing from sticks ,bits of wire, bits of tree branch the list is endless.
Basically anything that will help you get the shape you want to achieve

Last edited:
If you go through of Marc’s (Hubac’s) log, he shows how he carves his ornaments from Evergreen. He makes it look easy but I’m sure it’s not, however if you have the ability, you’ll probably hand sculpt or hand carve much more quickly than doing it in 3D. I agree with Bernard, you could spend a huge amount of time doing them in the software.

And I don't have a 3d printer and my parents wouldn't be willing to get one. I'll take technics from Hubac's build too.

Back