Mantua Sovereign of the Seas 1:78 bashed to death kit from Janos

Hallo Janos,
there is a new book available, which could be very interesting for you, also for the finishing of the rigging

Sovereign of the Seas, 1637:
A Reconstruction of the Most Powerful Warship of its Day

by John McKay (Autor)

View attachment 141201

Hi Uwe
a bit late for me in the current state of my SoS (or should I start from scratch again?) Where is this book available?
Regards:
Janos

Just about to finish the Le Soleil Royal stern model (still waiting for the delivery of a Chicago screw) and the back to Sovereign - as planned, after a year break with her. And I have to finish the Barcelona galley figure head as well (will post a few pictures soon) - I am just expecting the deliveryof the Mixtion according to Willi's advice. In the main time I was agonising whether or not building Sovereign's masts and yards any further (having the stud mast option) but I went back to the original idea and will finish her with masts and rigging (but no sails of course). So, watch this space.
János

Just about to finish the Le Soleil Royal stern model (still waiting for the delivery of a Chicago screw) and the back to Sovereign - as planned, after a year break with her. And I have to finish the Barcelona galley figure head as well (will post a few pictures soon) - I am just expecting the deliveryof the Mixtion according to Willi's advice. In the main time I was agonising whether or not building Sovereign's masts and yards any further (having the stud mast option) but I went back to the original idea and will finish her with masts and rigging (but no sails of course). So, watch this space.
János
Bravo on deciding to build complete masts on your Sovereign! Thumbsup :D A ship hull without at least masts, if not sails too, looks incomplete or... wrecked. Having the yards lowered and sails stored below lets everyone see all the deck work you did, as well as all that beautiful carving on the hull. I can't wait to see the final result!

János
I am watching - it is hard to wait......

OK - this is where I pack up my X-Acto and retire to somewhere far away where no one can find me and where there is no internet connection to haunt my mind with such art! This is just beyond belief - WOW!

Thanks, Guys, I appreciate your comments!
Janos
Because I don't have a fraction of the skill that Janos clearly has, I chose to make the carvings for my Sovereign of the Seas using a 3D printer. I converted the diagrams from the John Mckay book into monochrome reliefs (black low, white high) and then into 3D models that I could print. Since I was planning to paint the gilt work anyway, I didn't think it would matter that they were plastic. Here are some picture. Still very much a work in progress (and a lot of mistakes over which we will draw a discrete veil!)

20220604_182301-small.jpg

20220604_182319-small.jpg

20220604_182329-small.jpg

20220604_182351-small.jpg

Back