Manual Milling Machine

Has anyone built a manual milling machine for a dremel tool? I’m thinking about ordering a mini x,y table and need ideas for the z axis which will hold the dremel tool.

Thanks

I have recently purchased a MILL from vanda-lay industries, that work with a Dremel, it was not cheap i purchased a add on for the Z AXIS, so far using it, still learning it is working out so far, look at there web site, but one caution the instructions are not what you get, as they have updated the machine, but not the instructions but the owner will answer your questions, so far pleased with it, it is all machined metal onl set screws and dials are plastic very sturday, HOPE THIS HELPS. Don

Don
What are you expecting to do with this dremel mill.
If you want accuracy no, If you want to be able to cut deep slots no.
Suggestion
If you have a bench top drill press convert that. Purchase your xy vise. Use a good solid milling cutter. This will do the same as what you are after but more reliable.
Less vibration which will lead to cutter breakage but also less part scrap.
Your z axis adjustable already included.
dave f

Hi Dave, have been using the mill quite a bit, see my LE ROCHEFORT log as this is my first complete scratch I think it is coming along OK so far, as far as the mill is concerned there is NO VIBRATION AT ALL, the accuracy is up to me so far it is quite accurate, just check my LE ROCHFORT LOG notchs for frames and keelson are quite accurate, I have an X-Y table, the lack of a Z AXIS AND HAVING TO USE BLOCKS I COULD NOT GET IT TO WORK, also when i purchase a expensive tool i look for mutiple uses this for very little money i can have a mini-lathe, and a drill press, i can also saw with it and other uses, it has some draw backs that is for sure, but hopefuly as i continue to use it i hope to get better, let me here from you after you check my log. THANKS Don

You are doing great Don. Keep going.
Multiple uses is always a great benefit And as you said more you use the better you get, Great.
I am not sure what your having problems with blocks,
The way I have used them in industry is to lay the block flat on the table and then lower the cutter is that it just touches the block.
So if the keel is 1/2" and I need to cut a notch 1/8" deep I place a block that is 3/8" on table top touch cutter to top and that will give me the correct depth of notch.
Dave F

Hi Dave, THANKS FOR THE TIP VERY USEFUL, BY THE WAY YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT A X-Y VICE I HAVE ONE HARBOR FREIGHT AND A SET OF DY WHISKEY CUTTERS AND I DO PLAN ON USING IT AFTER I GAIN A LITTLE MORE EXPERIENCE WITH IT. THANKS AGAIN Don

Back