Mariquita Ship in Bottle 1:300

Still figuring this forum out. But thought I'd pos a few shots of my current project. It's been a simple but fun build. For any one trying out ship in bottle building for the first time I would suggest this ship.

20140210_002738.jpg

20140210_002714.jpg

20140212_230324.jpg

Attachments

• 20140205_194819.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3,685
  • 20140205_194830.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 3,675
  • 20140207_214144.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3,677
Probablynot,

I'll tell you the secrets but you have to promise not to tell any one else. JK it's no secret. This model is an experimentation of a technique I saw another SIB builder using. The hull is carved out of a block of wood with the bottom left uncarved. It creates a stand with which you can work with the model. I cut off the bottom for a test fit in the bottle before the masts and rigging started. You'll notice the last picture the base is no longer included. The bottle will be a syrup bottle from the grocery store the neck is a typical 1/2". I think she'll clear with plenty of room. She is a waterline model and the sea is already in the bottle waiting for her.

I'm not sure about who sells the dimple bottles but I know the type. I have a few variations. they are good but can be difficult with square rigged ships because of the wider use yard arms. I guess even they would be fine if set on a tight brace. What I see a lot of from the real master builders is light bulbs. This is because of the clarity. If the bottle is too distorted the details so carefully added will not be seen. This is why the dimple bottle was so popular the flat glass had great clarity.

I have no problemwith your questions I think it adds to the build log. So ask away. I'm happy to answer them.

Very Nice,
Is she bottled yet? Where do you find the tools to work n the ship once it is in the bottle, I've never seen them advertised anywhere?
J

J - I actually finished this ship a little while ago and got to busy to post it. The pictures are below.

As far as tools I mainly use bent coat hanger wires. Occasionally I'll also use long tweezers and an ear polypus. I especially like the ear polypus to adjust rigging inside the bottle. Medical tools in general are great. I also attached an exacto knife on the end of a long stick to cut the lines. I would say all ship in bottle builders build their own tools which is why you don't see them advertised. I would check out some books on ship on bottle building many of them will explain the tools used and how to make them. Don Hubbard's Ships in Bottles is especially good.

Attachments

• 20140303_234337 (1).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,474
  • 20140303_234445 (1).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,470
Thanks much for the advice and the pics of your finished build...she looks great, do you intend to do more bottled vessels?

J- Bottling ships has become my hobby. At last count I've done over 30 and I'm still learning. I have two in the works now. One is a ghost ship similar to one I did here. http://www.siemensbottlingco.blogspot.com/2012/10/ghosts-ship.html I need to start a build log on the new one.

The other is a Queen Anne's Revenge at around 1:1200 scale. It's mostly an experimental ship in trying out techniques on extreme miniatures. I have a build log for this one on another site. I've thought about starting one here but it's so close to completion. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php...venge-by-dsiemens-bottle-aprx-11250/?p=128086

SIB...the Ghost ship is spectacular, great idea hiding all the electronics in the stopper, your other build on the shelf look really nice as well. I'll check out your build log on MSW as well. Thanks for sharing, your work is very impressive.
J

Back