Maritime carvings by Janos

A few of my carvings. Material is European Boxwood, mostly left in its original colour. Only the Duyfken FH is stained and the Royal Caroline FH is gold leafed (trial piece for leafing, probably the last one of that). I am using a Micromotor - a special name for a rotary tool with wide rpm range, low revs and high torque. And also some knife blade and chisels as well. For finishing sanding and mostly scraping is used.
Janos

I was struggling a bit with attachments sizes so I had to push the resolutions down a lot.DSC_0117 s.jpg001 s (2).jpg003 s (4).jpg005 s (3).jpgDSC_0097 s.jpg006 s (2).jpg005 s.jpg006 s.jpgDSC_1865 s.jpgDSC_1927 s.jpgDSC_1989 s.jpgDSC_1990 s.jpg006 s.jpg014 s.jpgDSC_1988 s.jpg024 s.jpg295 s.jpgBellona 6.jpgBellona 5.jpg

Thanks, Gents!
I did not give up carving )):-, just working on the hull of Sovereign at the moment. It has to be planked before I know the sizes of the carvings (will be a few hundred) so I can continue carving there. I started on the figure head already but I work on this only in the Maritime Museum while volunteering there.
Janos

A few of my carvings. Material is European Boxwood, mostly left in its original colour. Only the Duyfken FH is stained and the Royal Caroline FH is gold leafed (trial piece for leafing, probably the last one of that). I am using a Micromotor - a special name for a rotary tool with wide rpm range, low revs and high torque. And also some knife blade and chisels as well. For finishing sanding and mostly scraping is used.
Janos

I was struggling a bit with attachments sizes so I had to push the resolutions down a lot.View attachment 27765View attachment 27766View attachment 27767View attachment 27768View attachment 27769View attachment 27770View attachment 27771View attachment 27772View attachment 27773View attachment 27774View attachment 27775View attachment 27776View attachment 27777View attachment 27778View attachment 27779View attachment 27780View attachment 27781View attachment 27782View attachment 27783

Hi Janos,
your work is getting better and better. WOW!!!
Karl

Hola janos, increible las tallas. Muy fino y hermoso ,espero yo algún día poder hacer algo así ,Janos podrías decir cuál es tu técnica para hacer las tallas o mostrar un video si no te importa ?????? Gracias

Hola janos, increible las tallas. Muy fino y hermoso ,espero yo algún día poder hacer algo así ,Janos podrías decir cuál es tu técnica para hacer las tallas o mostrar un video si no te importa ?????? Gracias

Thanks! I am using mostly rotary tools, a micromotor with different size and shape burrs as well as with diamond bits. Then I am sanding and scraping the carvings and apply satin wipe-on poly. The material is Boxwood (in most cases European Boxwood, but sometimes Costelo).
At the moment I am working on HMS St. Michaels' figure head as a by-project when I just have enough of Sovereign momentarily.
Janos

Back