Maritime Museum in Trieste (Italy)

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

I just found some photos of a visit of the Maritime Museum in Trieste (Italy) I just want to share with you.
So if you are in holiday in the northern adriatic sea, use the possibility of visiting this nice museum.

Here is the link to the museum web-page:
http://www.museodelmaretrieste.it/museo-del-mare/

Description
The museum's origins are ancient, it was inaugurated in 1904 as the then Fishing Museum with educational purposes aimed at the fishermen of the time when it was also a biological museum. Later the artifacts from the Nautical Institute and relevant materials were brought here.
The collections describe the maritime history of the city of Trieste and the Adriatic in general, the development of marine technology, techniques of navigation, fishing and various economic activities related to the sea. An important part is devoted to the scientific instruments used in navigation and for the study and knowledge of the sea

Peculiarities
The museum preserves ancient scientific instruments, the initial collection belonging to the Nautical School set up by the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria. A little more recent are the fishing dioramas , built with the aim of improving the knowledge of the fishermen to help them increase their catch.
A real peculiarity of the museum are the mid-nineteenth century models that depict the depth lines of the seabed in colored layers, designed by Heinrich von Littrow. Until then, depths were expressed only by using small numbers written on maps.

Bild 001.jpgBild 005.jpgBild 008.jpgBild 010.jpgBild 012.jpgBild 015.jpgBild 018.jpgBild 022.jpgBild 026.jpgBild 035.jpgBild 036.jpg

Partly the museum is focused also on the adriatic fisher boats of the past, like Trabakul, Leut, Bragozzo, Barca etc.

Bild 037.jpgBild 040.jpgBild 038.jpgBild 042.jpgBild 044.jpgBild 045.jpgBild 046.jpgBild 048.jpg

Very nice models,I have seen the Rogers Collection in Toronto many years ago.

Back