• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Maritime Museum of Montenegro (Pomorski muzej Crne Gore)

Joined
May 22, 2025
Messages
208
Points
88

Location
Coral Gables, Florida
During my visit to Kotor’s Maritime Museum, I had the chance to discover a fascinating collection that reflects the city’s rich maritime heritage and long seafaring tradition.

Illyrian Liburna. (Modeler M.Stumbergera).

tempImagedyTSWE.png
 
Tartana. (Modeler N.Stanojevic).
"The tartana was a preferred type of merchant vessel among seafarers from the bay of Kotor during the 18th century.It could easily be adapted as a warship, but it was mainly used for cargo transport or fishing".

tempImageogmd51.png

tempImagetUAD9F.png

tempImageNuICw7.png
 
Brig Splendido. (Modeler M.Stumberger).
"A medium-sized merchant sailing vessel with square sails and a spanker (gaff sail) on the mizzen mast. Between 1852 and 1859, Ivo Vizin circumnavigated the word with this ship".

tempImagezWXT2T.png

tempImageD97yOV.png

tempImageva9KzB.png

tempImagebCZ8kk.png

tempImagenRp4mO.png
 
Whenever I visit these museums and think about when the models were built I marvel at the craftsmanship and attention to details, especially the line and rope work. I have almost every hobby tool imaginable and still find it difficult to procduce models like these. Thank you for the photos.
 
I had the opportunity to visit five maritime museums during a trip to Europe for a wedding, from a large one in Amsterdam to a small one in Perast, Montenegro. I got the same feeling in all of them: the level of craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing.

It’s even more impressive when you think about the tools and materials they had available back then compared with what we have today.

Another interesting thing I found during this trip was the maritime ex-voto tradition, where sailors would offer a model of their ship to a church after being saved from an accident or some other danger at sea. I saw this mostly in Montenegro, but also in a small church in Marken, in the Netherlands.

tempImage0MYq1l.png

tempImageam5S4Z.png

tempImageKftsWC.png

tempImagetBImq9.png

tempImagecYjwIU.png

tempImageY8qnhu.png

tempImageLyrXfJ.png

tempImagedOLCMK.png
 
Back
Top