Market Schooner Flying Fish Corel 1:50

This kit was posted on ebay as a partially completed model. I checked around and found that it retails for around $200. I did some more checking and found that many modelers have a low opinion of this kit due to the poor quality of the plans and instructions. But I looked at images of the completed model and felt it has potential. So I put in a max bid of $50 fully expecting it to go to a higher bidder. Low and behold I ended up winning the auction for $48 including shipping. It arrived today in a large box. Upon opening the box I found a mostly completed hull, a nice base and the kit box with the remainder of the parts, the plans and instructions. Apparently the seller picked this up at an estate sale as there were several extra items in the box including some nice tools.
Here are the images I took of this model in it's present state. Other than the deck furniture being out of square here are the issues I feel I need to correct to make this an acceptable model. The line of the forward portion of the hull looks out of kilter. The bulwarks get higher as they progress toward the bow area. Fixing this will require removing the caprail cutting down the bulwarks and replacing the caprail. It will take some delicate work but I think the improvement will create a more please sweep. Rebuilding both of the pinrails. Rebuilding the hatches and the grates. Stripping the paint from the deck house and possibly modifying the roof line. Replacing the skylight and rebuilding the wheel housing. Rebuilding the bowsprit and changing the proportions (although it appears that it was built close to the plans). Maybe relocating the rudder a bit and adding a way to control it. This one will probably go into drydock and wait for some of my other projects to be completed. At this time I am afraid I have too many irons in the fire and I don't seem to be making much progress on any of them.

I really think this can be turned into a very nice looking schooner and I don't feel compelled to strictly follow the plans as provided.

aft 001.jpgaft 002.jpgBase 001.jpgbottom 001.jpgbow area 001.jpgbow area 002.jpgbowsprit 001.jpgbowsprit detail 001.jpgbowsprit detail 002.jpgbowsprit detail 003.jpgforward hull port side 001.jpgforward pinrail 001.jpgmidships 001.jpgmidships 002.jpgport side hull 001.jpgrudder 001.jpg

I have carefully removed all of the deck furniture with the exception of the capstan/winch at the bow. I may remove it and replace it with one that looks to me to be more authentic. I may end up replanking the deck. The sheer line of the cap rail is just too wrong to leave alone so I will be removing the cap rail and cutting down the bulwarks to the correct curve. While I'm at it I will remove and replace most of the bulwark stanchions as many of the existing ones are very crooked. I'm also going to have too remove at least one of the cat heads as they don't line up perpendicular to the centerline of the boat. I hope I will be able to leave the rubrail in place, as long as it reflects the deck line I won't mess with it. I don't want to do any more to the hull than I have to as the planking looks pretty good so far. But I may strip off the overly heavy black paint. I'm glad I wasn't given this to finish for someone else as my extensive rebuild plans would probably hurt the feelings of the original owner. I have plenty of raw materials to make the improvements so why not.

sheer lines 002.jpgsheer lines 003.jpgstripped hull 001.jpg

Reactions: Tom
An unexpected event happened that I feel I must share.One of my modeling buddies has recently developed an interest in HO scale trains. I still own quite a few locomotives from the time I was an avid HO model railroader and a few steam locomotives. One was a Broadway Limited 2-8-2 Mikado, DCC and sound, Southern Railway. When he discovered that I had this locomotive I knew I was going to be able to get a good trade out of him to get it. He came by my house today with a stash of stuff he was willing to trade for the 2-8-2. A small Craftsman band saw, a nice Craftsman router, an aeropiccola electric heated plank bender and finally a well started model of the Corel Flying Fish kit from the estate of a fellow modeler. This was the best effort at planking and deck furniture the guy had done. My friend Dan was going to keep it for himself but his desire for the HO locomotive outweighed his desire for the ship model. So I now have two unfinished models of the Flying Fish. I intend to pass the previous one I acquired to another friend who has been a great help setting up my modeling space. Here are some images of the kit I intend to keep.

new Flying Fish schooner 001.jpgnew Flying Fish schooner 002.jpgnew Flying Fish schooner 003.jpgnew Flying Fish schooner 004.jpgnew Flying Fish schooner 005.jpgnew Flying Fish schooner 006.jpg

An unexpected event happened that I feel I must share.One of my modeling buddies has recently developed an interest in HO scale trains. I still own quite a few locomotives from the time I was an avid HO model railroader and a few steam locomotives. One was a Broadway Limited 2-8-2 Mikado, DCC and sound, Southern Railway. When he discovered that I had this locomotive I knew I was going to be able to get a good trade out of him to get it. He came by my house today with a stash of stuff he was willing to trade for the 2-8-2. A small Craftsman band saw, a nice Craftsman router, an aeropiccola electric heated plank bender and finally a well started model of the Corel Flying Fish kit from the estate of a fellow modeler. This was the best effort at planking and deck furniture the guy had done. My friend Dan was going to keep it for himself but his desire for the HO locomotive outweighed his desire for the ship model. So I now have two unfinished models of the Flying Fish. I intend to pass the previous one I acquired to another friend who has been a great help setting up my modeling space. Here are some images of the kit I intend to keep.

I am curious what the masting and rigging/sail plan looks like for this schooner. When looking at the hull I automatically make comparisons to the Bluenose fishing schooner. Of course schooner rig can be put onto any hull and both straight gaff rigged or topmast square sails are seen. Thanks for putting up the photos. Rich (PT-2)

Back