Masking tape

Can anyone recommend a non bleed masking tape. Preferably one that leaves minimum glue residue

Tamia makes a very good tape for modeling, but it is somewhat pricey. I use in the past the Frog masking tape and have really good results.

I believe there is a striping tape you can buy probably at a local hobby or hardware store. I was inquiring about the best way to paint small windows on my lake freighter on a Facebook group and striping tape was recommended - never did go looking for it yet though.

Please realize that all masking tape can bleed under the edge, regardless of brand and type. Key for success is to first spray the same color as the base (or clear if no paint)...that seals the edge. Once that is dry only then do you spray the color you want lined off....nothing will bleed and you will be the envy of your modeling friends!

This is the method I use when painting a border on a plastered wall with emulsion paint. I also achieve envious results.
Frog tape is part of my modelling inventory. It doesn't bleed. The smoothness of the surface below is essential for good results. Too rough and the tendency is to achieve a ragged edge. In that case one will have to apply the method described above by Clifforddward
Trevor

I use what is called painters tape. It is usually blue in color and normally found in the paint section of your local hardware store. Designed to minimize bleed. No matter which tape you use you need to burnish or rub down the edge or paint will bleed under…

ScotchBlue Original Multi-Surface Painter's Tape,  .70 inches x 60 yards, 2090, 1 Roll

Last edited:
try electrical tape ( not the cheap dollar store stuff, but the pro quality at about $3.00 a roll. ) you get a water tight seal and it leaves no residue. if you are spray painting give the edge a light spray coming from above the tape, not up at it to seal it and let dry, then proceed to add your layers. guaranteed perfect line with no bleed.

When I use masking tape to separate colors I first cut a new edge with a sharp razor. Most tapes have edges that have picked up dust, dirt and debris, which causes bleed. That helps the problem, then apply any of the above techniques and you should have a clean clear break.

I believe there is a striping tape you can buy probably at a local hobby or hardware store. I was inquiring about the best way to paint small windows on my lake freighter on a Facebook group and striping tape was recommended - never did go looking for it yet though.
I have used the automotive striping tape for many years for the waterline on my RC ships. It can be purchased in various colours, and I usually use it in 1/16 (2mm) or 1/8 (4mm) widths. I have never had it come off even when cleaning the model after it comes out of the water. I also use "Scotch" Plastic Tape for masking around windows or doors before painting. It seals perfectly with no bleed and comes off with no gooey residue.

Please realize that all masking tape can bleed under the edge, regardless of brand and type. Key for success is to first spray the same color as the base (or clear if no paint)...that seals the edge. Once that is dry only then do you spray the color you want lined off....nothing will bleed and you will be the envy of your modeling friends!
In reference to "clear if no paint", what would you recommend? to seal the edge? I'm working on a Soleil Royale and getting close to the painting. It's a blue over the light colored wood, almost a basswood. The last thing I want is bleed through, thank you.

In reference to "clear if no paint", what would you recommend? to seal the edge? I'm working on a Soleil Royale and getting close to the painting. It's a blue over the light colored wood, almost a basswood. The last thing I want is bleed through, thank you.
When painting a masked edge against unpainted wood, I would first spray on a clear coat of whatever paint system you are using. I often use a paint brand called "Scalecoat" but there are many others. For those wanting to use water base paints I have had success with Vallejo.

Most brands will have a clear available in their lineup (often in either matt or gloss finish)...After masking the line, first spray the clear, then once that is dry spray the color coat.
Hope this helps.

When painting a masked edge against unpainted wood, I would first spray on a clear coat of whatever paint system you are using. I often use a paint brand called "Scalecoat" but there are many others. For those wanting to use water base paints I have had success with Vallejo.

Most brands will have a clear available in their lineup (often in either matt or gloss finish)...After masking the line, first spray the clear, then once that is dry spray the color coat.
Hope this helps.
thank you for the response. I was thinking of masking then brush on a thin line of some type of clear to get that seal. I've been thinking about this for a while now and your idea seems like the best idea yet. I've had problems in the past with seepage below the masking. Will try on a sample first before the model.

Back