Mast and Spar sizes for 18th. Century brig (snow)

i am looking for a table of mast and spar sizes, can anyone halp?
1. Get a copy of "Steele's" book. For 200+ years, it has been the bible for English ships. It lists, in table form, for all rates of vessels from first rates down, for all time periods and for all establishments. The index is very good; you can actually find stuff you want to know. The original issue, 200+ years ago, was in a two book format; I believe this first issue now costs an arm and a leg-you do not really need it. Subsequent reissues have left out all the sail making info and condensed the two books down to one book; much handier (and significantly cheaper) with no loss of yard info. You can probably buy a copy over amazon (or ebay). I have had a reprint one book version for 50 years; use it every week. This is definitely a MUST HAVE book. I believe Sweetman may have been the publisher; I am not at home so I do not have access to my library.
2. Some of the books mentioned in reply above simply have reprinted a little bit of the Steele info in a different more modern format; get the original. I have most of these other books and never look at them. Steele did his work to perfection the first time around and it has not been improved upon in the 200+ years since. I should mention that the Sweetman version (and probably all the other one volume reissues) have all the original drawings in the back. The printing of my drawings is superb (although now a bit yellowed). They copy just fine and are legible to the eye.
3. Find and acquire a copy and don't leave home without it!

Last edited:
1. Get a copy of "Steele's" book. For 200+ years, it has been the bible for English ships. It lists, in table form, for all rates of vessels from first rates down, for all time periods and for all establishments. The index is very good; you can actually find stuff you want to know. The original issue, 200+ years ago, was in a two book format; I believe this first issue now costs an arm and a leg-you do not really need it. Subsequent reissues have left out all the sail making info and condensed the two books down to one book; much handier (and significantly cheaper) with no loss of yard info. You can probably buy a copy over amazon (or ebay). I have had a reprint one book version for 50 years; use it every week. This is definitely a MUST HAVE book. I believe Sweetman may have been the publisher; I am not at home so I do not have access to my library.
2. Some of the books mentioned in reply above simply have reprinted a little bit of the Steele info in a different more modern format; get the original. I have most of these other books and never look at them. Steele did his work to perfection the first time around and it has not been improved upon in the 200+ years since. I should mention that the Sweetman version (and probably all the other one volume reissues) have all the original drawings in the back. The printing of my drawings is superb (although now a bit yellowed). They copy just fine and are legible to the eye.
3. Find and acquire a copy and don't leave home without it!
Hi Bill36, Need a better description such as exact title. Authors full name, Pubisher and ISO number. I searched but nothing came up.

Hi Bill36, Need a better description such as exact title. Authors full name, Pubisher and ISO number. I searched but nothing came up.
Good morning Cons, if I understood correctly, are these the books?

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg

fffff.jpg

Yes Thank you very much. will search for them now. cheers. ----------- Wow! paper back. NZD49.68

Last edited:
Back