MAST COLLARS

When a mast passed through an upper deck, logically a collar was present to prevent/ reduce the entry of sea water to the lower decks. Did lower decks have collars as well ?
Pete

FWIW, on my Mamoli cross section of the USS Constitution, lower deck collars were included.

Most gun decks are considered as "weather decks", with scuppers to the sides, and often even the pumps discharge on them rather than on the uppermost deck

That's a good comment Encore de Chine. Also occurred to me that those collars would be essential in stabilising the masts within the ship.

When a mast passed through an upper deck, logically a collar was present to prevent/ reduce the entry of sea water to the lower decks. Did lower decks have collars as well ?
Pete
Hello, Pete.

The mast partners are the ship's timbers fitted between deck beams around the opening in the deck where the mast passes through - they are under the deck planking. When the mast is stepped, it is "wedged" in place at deck level, the wedges going between the partners and the mast itself. This serves to stiffen the installation so that the mast doesn't move around and start damaging itself and the deck.

The wedges are made with a shoulder to prevent them from dropping through. A mast collar - a ring bolted down onto the deck to take a canvas mast-boot which serves to stop leaks.

1621127184318.png 1621127210883.png

Mast's collar was fitted only on the upper decks, while the wedges rings were fitted on all decks the mast inserted thru.

I have learnt quite a lot from one simple question and now I understand the whole concept. Jimsky, thanks for your detailed answer.

I just wanted to give some more details, because I think, that some given information could mislead in fast reading:

A very good way showing the system of forces in a multi-deck sailing vessel is a longitudinal section (here the 74-gun ship by Jean Boudriot)

IMG_16881a.jpg

you can see the three masts
first of all the own wheight of the masts, spars and sails are vertical down via the mast foot towards the keel
The wind forces (shown with black arrows at the mast "heads") are transported via the mast downwards and transfered only to one deck, usually the Main deck which is constructed stronger (cross section of deck beams etc.)
With red arrows I marked the mast foots
with green arrows the only fixed connection of the mast with the beams of the ship (via wedges and partners)
with blue arrows you can see the the covering the gap between the mast and deck with some canvas (you mentione collars)
with purple arrows are marked the decks, where we have partners, but no wedges -> so here the mast has no connection / contact with the partners or beams or planking -> the gap is usually covered with a wooden ring with inner diameter like the outer diameter of the mast - but the mast can, due to his small deflections move in all directions
=> what I wanted to describe is the fact, that the usual mast has only two fix connections with the ship:
One at the mast foot and
the second at the one deck where the wooden wedges are placed

Here in addition a small excerpt also from Boudriot showing the partners (this is french style) on the several decks
53a.jpg

and here a excerpt from the Bonhomme Richard showing the deck where the mast is fixed with wooden wedges against the partners and beams
the other upper deck shows the ring covering the clearly visible gap between mast and partner
53d.jpg

So wooden wedges are used only on one deck !!
Against water (and protecting injuries of seaman-feets) the gap was protected by canvas (sometimes leather) collar and / or wooden rings

Uwek, thanks for all of that fantastic detail. Never did I dream that I would learn so much from forum members prepared to put 'pen to paper'. Your posting was massive in its content and makes me feel so fortunate to see this info. I am sure others will appreciate what I have just read.
Pete

Incredible bit of information. I would have initially thought each deck would have secured the mast in some way. Interesting diagram of the applied load points. Makes sense why there were only two points that were the mast was fixed.

Back