Mast length

I'm investigating making a main mast for my Discovery1789. zu Mondfeld says on page 217 that it is 2.343 times the beam. That works out to about 64 feet. Where is that measured from and to? End to end? Deck to top? Deck to cap? Keel to top or cap?
Thanks

I'm investigating making a main mast for my Discovery1789. zu Mondfeld says on page 217 that it is 2.343 times the beam. That works out to about 64 feet. Where is that measured from and to? End to end? Deck to top? Deck to cap? Keel to top or cap?
Thanks
Don, the length of the mast is measured from the point where it rests on the keel to the top. Top length in the table is given separately. Largest diameter at the level of the upper deck.

Thank you Alexander. Another thing that's confusing me on those pages is "top" and "head". As you say top length is given separately but on page 214 on the names of parts picture he shows the "top" as the platform (no 12) and the 'Mast head" as no. 13. Is the top length the same measurement as the mast head length? Hope you can understand that drivel.

Thank you Alexander. Another thing that's confusing me on those pages is "top" and "head". As you say top length is given separately but on page 214 on the names of parts picture he shows the "top" as the platform (no 12) and the 'Mast head" as no. 13. Is the top length the same measurement as the mast head length? Hope you can understand that drivel.
Don, the top of the mast (# 13) starts from the top of the chicks (part # 9) to the top of the eselhoft (# 14)

Back