materials/ imperial to metric

Millimetres. Centimetres. Mitres. Kilometres.
As with feet and inches......ultimately there's no end; yet both meet at the same place...Forever.
I'm of the generation which started Imperial, then got converted to metric while still in school. What a revelation!
Interesting how the Great Republic still clings so hard to their Imperial Oppressors!

When the first day of decimal currency dawned in the UK, I was working aboard a large passenger liner, and I remember what a relief it was to be able to sort out my accounts in pounds and pence with a decimal point thrown in, rather tha those dreadful pounds, shilling, pence and half pences! Shortly after, I got my first calculator, and life became a lot easier.

When the first day of decimal currency dawned in the UK, I was working aboard a large passenger liner, and I remember what a relief it was to be able to sort out my accounts in pounds and pence with a decimal point thrown in, rather tha those dreadful pounds, shilling, pence and half pences! Shortly after, I got my first calculator, and life became a lot easier.
You may remember the much lamented Farthing, Bob. We were spared the Groat! When I look back, when a pocket full of change was worth something, and you had the portrait of all the monarch's going back to Victoria. Symbols of continuity and a child's delight finding a Bun Penny.

I try to avoid imperial as much as possible
Ha-ha. I would do same as you but working in Canada I have to juggle between metric and imperial. Canada pretends they are fully metric but they just have to use both systems due to US being Imperial in everything but their currency. Imagine a Canadian mechanic has to carry tools for fasteners in both systems!

You may remember the much lamented Farthing, Bob. We were spared the Groat! When I look back, when a pocket full of change was worth something, and you had the portrait of all the monarch's going back to Victoria. Symbols of continuity and a child's delight finding a Bun Penny.
Yes, I still have some farthings, silver sixpences, one threepenny bit and a load bun pennies, also some with Queen Victoria when she was quite young.

Now days pretty much every mechanic has to have 2 sets of tools - especially in the US. It's not just a Canadian problem. I have tool boxes full of both so that I can work on my Japanese motorcycle, American made equipment, etc. Standardization would be nice, but I don't expect it any time soon here.

The inch is not a stand alone measure any more; it is ONLY defined in terms of the metric system. Therefor the EXACT conversion factor is
1" = 25.4 mm.

or 1' = 30.48 cm

England is perhaps no longer imperial, other countries across the pond are more so these days. Pun intended.

Richard

The inch is not a stand alone measure any more; it is ONLY defined in terms of the metric system. Therefor the EXACT conversion factor is
1" = 25.4 mm.

or 1' = 30.48 cm

England is perhaps no longer imperial, other countries across the pond are more so these days. Pun intended.

Richard
That would depend how big your YARD is.

I have inch to metric and vice versa set up on my computer... just put in inch to metric calculator and it will give you two boxes. one for inches one for mm

Back