"Meermann" or "Wodnik" 1627 (1:100, scratch) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello,
Thanks to everyone for your comments and remarks.
I had the last update divided into two parts, but somehow it turned out that there will be only the final. So the memorable moment has come when the model of His Majesty's Ship "Aquarius / Meerman" was completed in a different "configuration" than the previous attempts at reconstruction.
Attaching the spears was not particularly difficult, also access to belaying points was quite acceptable (the most difficult thing was with the main mast). I will not write anything innovative in the history of rigging or the art of modeling.
I have developed my quick method for sails on a scale of 1: 100. For this I use a very delicate and thin cotton canvas (here I used a batiste). I soak a fragment of the canvas with thinned, transparent water-based glue and leave it to dry. Then, with a sharp scalpel near the ruler, cut off narrow strips of fabric from this piece (thanks to the glue, the canvas does not fray and you can cut strips narrower than 1 mm with a little practice). I stick these stripes (with the same transparent glue) in all places where there are reinforcements on the sail (at the edges, corners, etc.). Only then do I cut the sail with scissors. In my opinion, on a scale of 1: 100, all attempts to sew the sail are terribly off-scale and the effect is "not very good". I use a pencil to draw "traces" of sewing cloths rather than clear, visible lines. Also, I do not sew on bolt rope but stick with glue.
Before attaching the spears with the sails, I soak the canvas gently with water and again with diluted glue and dry with a hair dryer, giving a convex shape. Sometimes a great effect can be achieved.
This time I managed to achieve "high wind dynamics" in the lower sails thanks to a simple trick (discovered by chance). The buntlines are gently glued to the sails and then pulled tighter, thereby swinging the bottom of the sail forward and upward.
This is what the new face of "Meerman" looks like:

1726924222_fin23.jpg.f17e49b083e752c1694b921ff7fd1f4e.jpg

Greetings
Tomek

you are really a very fast builder - Congratulations for this great model - she is looking very good my friend :cool:

I certainly hope that the cardboard and paper used is acid free so the model will last a long time. Paper ships amaze me. The wood grain colors make you think the model is made from wood. The canvas hanging from the rails for concealment of the gunners is perfect. It looks exactly like cloth on this scale.

Last edited:
Jest cudowna, jak tylko może, hobby bez granic. Karton nie jest wyjątkiem. Bardzo dobrze zrobione.

Back