Milling machine selection

Hello!
I am considering buying a milling machine for wood and (non-ferrous) metals.
I have found that there are several owners of Proxxon FF 230 so I want to ask about the comparison or its advantages over the classic (albeit Chinese) type machines like Bernardo KF 16, for example.

Radek

You might want to PM @Donnie (SoS Admin) about milling machines and drill presses.

He has posted several videos about the machine he uses and how to work different tasks with them.

@Kurt Konrath (thanks for pointing him this way)

I know several members that prefer Proxxon. However, I have found that Sherline (www.sherline.com) was and is the best alternative for me. They also ship worldwide as well. However, the proxxon might be more readily available in your area.
The reason I like the Sherline is that it is as close to a professional hobby type machine that does both metal and wood excellently. The accessories are nice too.

Now, there are two more that I know of that can be useful and they can be found here:
www.mircomark.com they have both lathes and mills and all the accessories.
www.littlemachineshop.com they too have both lathes and mill and all the accessories.

Lastly is Sherline is where I bought all my equipment from.
www.sherline.com

I have some videos showing the use of the mill if you are interested.

@Kurt Konrath (thanks for pointing him this way)

I know several members that prefer Proxxon. However, I have found that Sherline (www.sherline.com) was and is the best alternative for me. They also ship worldwide as well. However, the proxxon might be more readily available in your area.
The reason I like the Sherline is that it is as close to a professional hobby type machine that does both metal and wood excellently. The accessories are nice too.

Now, there are two more that I know of that can be useful and they can be found here:
www.mircomark.com they have both lathes and mills and all the accessories.
www.littlemachineshop.com they too have both lathes and mill and all the accessories.

Lastly is Sherline is where I bought all my equipment from.
www.sherline.com

I have some videos showing the use of the mill if you are interested.
Do you have the mill? Do yo use an R8 spindle or a Jacob's chuck? Looks interesting!

For what it's worth, I bought and use the Proxxon MF70 and find it to be a perfect machine for my needs. Plus, there are options to add CNC capabilities to it.
Good luck in your search and choice.

Do you have the mill? Do yo use an R8 spindle or a Jacob's chuck? Looks interesting!
Hi Phil,
are you asking me if I have the mill? If so, yes, I have a Sherline Mill. I am not sure about the R8 spindle. I use a combo of Jacobs chuck and other attachments (end mill holders) depending on the operation I am doing.

Thank you all for your answers.
Donnie: Sherline is rare in our region, and unfortunately its price (plus postage) makes me wonder if the same budget should be put into several different machines from local manufacturers.
(The same situation is with the Byrnes thicknesser, for example...)

Radek

For what it's worth, I bought and use the Proxxon MF70 and find it to be a perfect machine for my needs. Plus, there are options to add CNC capabilities to it.
Good luck in your search and choice.
Indeed, mine is CNC enabled. The only thing I will say is that there are no limit switches on the machine so, one must be very careful not to crash the axes; especially the X axis. Hasn"t happened to me yet, but this is always in the back of my mind. make sure there is a flex coupling between the stepper motors and the screws that moves the axes.

Indeed, mine is CNC enabled. The only thing I will say is that there are no limit switches on the machine so, one must be very careful not to crash the axes; especially the X axis. Hasn"t happened to me yet, but this is always in the back of my mind. make sure there is a flex coupling between the stepper motors and the screws that moves the axes.
I haven’t purchased the components to go CNC but plan to someday.

Hi Radek

Proxxon MF70 is brilliant for extremely fine intricate work due to the high RPM.If you want something for bigger joints and be able to machine brass (MF70 ok with Aluminium but does struggle with brass) then a bigger machine is required.I don't believe there is such a thing as one do it all machine which is why I own two.

Kind Regards

Nigel

All there is to say is, "buy a Sherline".
True, but it is more than double the price of the Proxxon MF70. I use the Proxxon daily and apart from not finding a variable-angle vise to fit, its good for my humble needs.

The challenging problem is not the brand name, though. It is the funds allocated for the purchase. All of us have different ways of buying tools. One can buy the less expensive (no famous brand), while others will research before buying to buy what they think will suit their needs. Both will do milling for sure, but when it comes to futures set and precision the second one will win (IMHO).

The challenging problem is not the brand name, though. It is the funds allocated for the purchase. All of us have different ways of buying tools. One can buy the less expensive (no famous brand), while others will research before buying to buy what they think will suit their needs. Both will do milling for sure, but when it comes to futures set and precision the second one will win (IMHO).

And do not forget all the tooling that will be needed....it can cost more than the mill itself!

Hello!
I am considering buying a milling machine for wood and (non-ferrous) metals.
I have found that there are several owners of Proxxon FF 230 so I want to ask about the comparison or its advantages over the classic (albeit Chinese) type machines like Bernardo KF 16, for example.

Radek

As you live in Europe, just go for a Proxxon. I have the Proxxon MF70 and a Sherline. But i live in USA and Sherline, yes is pricy, but more accessible here.

As Jimsky wrote, based on budget and needs, pick one of the Proxxon. You will not regret it.

Cheers
Daniel

Interesting that the Wen came out top.This is exactly the same as my Clarke machine bought in the UK.These are generically manufactured in China by the same company.The standard of final fit and finish is very dependant on who retails the machine.
Yes the vice collets clamps and cutters easily cost the same as the machine but you expect that with a machine capable of working steel.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Yes the vice collets clamps and cutters easily cost the same as the machine but you expect that with a machine capable of working steel.
exactly, Nigel, if not cost more than the machine itself. For example, for Proxxon MF70 I'd say you may need, At least those three devicess. All three possibly cost around $180 -200 (depens where you buy them)

1645403438264.png

1645403516522.png

1645403553863.png

exactly, Nigel, if not cost more than the machine itself. For example, for Proxxon MF70 I'd say you may need, At least those three devicess. All three possibly cost around $180 -200 (depens where you buy them)

View attachment 292338

View attachment 292339

View attachment 292340
I have all three plus some additional items... The cutters came with the mill. Both clamping systems are a must and I'd like to get an angle clamp too!
Your point is spot on, but I think I got better pricing than you found.

Back