min-wax pollycrylic

Hi All, Have a question, CAN YOU USE POLYCRYLIC(MIN-WAX,,,WATER BASED) on painted material as well as stains THANKS FOR ANY HELP.Don

if you asking to mix oil based and water based products most times it doesn't go so well, Usually one will cause the finish of the other to crack. This isn't always though so the best thing to do it test on a scrap piece of wood first. I learned the hard way building model ships cars and planes from wood and plastic to always test first. I was sure sorry I didn't many times and some of those times I had to discard the model it was so bad. if your painted or stained stuff is water base it should work just fine, But I'd still test it

It should be fine I only used water based stain and poly for all my wood ships until I started the Black Pearl. Then I used an oil based product for the first time. I've not had much trouble using Water based Poly over water based Stain and the trouble I did have was due to my own absent mindedness. As I said Before And mrshanks has said its still always best to test before you commit to your Build. I have also put poly on painted surfaces without issue but I still always test just to be safe

I did a test on the both the stains and the painted pieces, it was fine on the STAIN but took the ONES THAT WERE PAINTED TOOK THE PAINT OFF, so I did 2 coats on the stained materal and nothing on the painted pieces, I probally will use a dullcoat as a final step, Ithink that will work, THANKS FOR THE HELP. Don

Yeah like I said its always a good idea to test it out. I have ruined so much work in the past because I didn't test. I use Minwax Polycrylic in satin finish for my ships and on some gunstocks I haven't really used it on painted areas much but it did seem to work well whit the Tamiya XF1 Acrylic paints that paint has alcohol in it to thin the paint and help speed drying time because the alcohol evaporates pretty fast. The paint has great coverage in spite of having a super thin consistency. It could be that the thin consistency works well with that Poly coating. I only use Tamiya paints for models so I haven't tried it with other brands

Thanks Joe, I too use Tamyia paints exclusivly acrylics only, also with my air brust with a mix of 2 thirds paint one third thinner, but have not air brushed in a while, THANKS FOR THE HELP. Don

As I have said on this site before being a stain guy I’m not a big fan of paint, however when I do paint, a good primer undercoat helps the paint cure, which seems to make it more accessible to most overcoats. By trial and error, I found a simple artists matt varnish for use with acrylic paint from the arts and crafts store works great on paint or stain it does not matter if its water or oil based. I get a good clean protected surface. Also, with all trial and error testing keeping good notes is a must. You will always have to go back and touch something up, your reference notes makes matching the touch-up easy. I even go so far as to label and keep the good test pieces as a future reference.

Back