Miniature Shipbuilding - Small Steamers & Motor Ships

Miniature Shipbuilding
Small Steamers & Motor Ships
I am pleased to announce that this download is now available, price £2.99.
41 Pages, A4. 9,526 words, 71 images, five plans.
Please click the link and scroll down a bit after it opens to read the synopsis. Then, if you wish to purchase a download, a button is provided for Paypal or cards. A download link is sent automatically on receipt of payment.
Front page jpeg (Large).jpg

It is not often that I get overwhelmed, but since publication yesterday, this download has gone to Thailand, Canada, UK, USA, New Zealand, Finland, Ireland & Spain, with multiple sales :) It certainly looks like interest is finally moving into steam and motor ships, and away from sail.
Bob
9 Hatch copy (Medium).jpg

Definitely a very interesting book. Steam power has fascinated me since childhood. Does the book include plans for steam engines?
What is the price in US dollars?
If I decide to buy, where do I find the link? My tired old eyes didn't find it.
Sorry for all the questions, I am just overjoyed at the site of this new book.
Happy Modelling.
Steven

Hi Steven,
I forgot to put the link on - here it is: https://payhip.com/b/HXAL Scroll down a bit after the link opens to read the synopsis. Then, if you wish to purchase a download, a button is provided for Paypal or cards.
£2.99 in US Dollars is $3.90.
But as I said, it is not a book - It is a 41 page article produced as a download, details as above.
It is only about miniature model shipbuilding and does not contain anything about engines in it.
It contains plans for SA Everard (Thames river tug), Signality (British Coaster), Helen Craig (British Coaster), Adaptity (British coaster)
and Charles M (British coaster). It is more of an introductions to building miniature steamers and motorships than anything else.
Here is the index:
Bob

Index scan jpeg with title.jpg

Last edited:
This has turned out to be my most popular download so far - I shouldn't really be surprised, as so many modellers have declared an increasing interest in steam and motor ships, and that was the reason for producing it! :D
Bob

well I'm going to buy it as well, possibly more in hope than expectation. I'm not sure I have the skills to make the little components but we'll see. I'm definitely drawn to motor and working boats rather than ships of war.

Thanks. I believe it is largely in the mind, and many modellers declare that they would like to build merrchant ships, but come up with lots of reasons why they can't. "Can.t afford tools" is a common reason not to scratchbuild, but it makes me shudder when I see how much kits cost! A few hand tools, many 2nd hand from car boot sales are all that is required. "Haven't the time" but most kits seem to take months or even years to complete. "My fingers are too clumsy for fine work!" So are mine, but I use tweezers for most of it! "There are no plans of merchant ships!" Yes there are - far more than warships (See download). "Warships are more interesting!" In my opinion, they are not. Most of the time, drills, training and discipline, followed by active service anf great danger. But if you like that sort of thing, merchant ships were,always dragged in anyway, whether they like it or not - such as this one Jervis Bay. Once you can get beyond the certain knoweldge that you could never do it, you will be OK. Tools - minimal - materials, - minimal. If you want to build quickly, you can, if you want to build slowly, you can. As I said, I wrote this download in response to numerous requests from modellers who were seeing what others produced in this field.
Here is a Utube presenation of building the SS Politician:

Bob
Jervis Bay (Large).JPG

Back