Minor additions to tool kit

Pictured below are a few odds and ends that I have recently added to the tool kit.
The squeezy bulb blower was bought to blow away the odd bits of sawdust and ratline trimmings from the deck. It is completely useless! A flatulent gnat would be more effective. At the other end of the scale is the electric dust blower that I subsequently bought. I think this is powered by a recycled aero engine. It needs to be used at long range and effectively achieved the deck cleaning objective. If used at short range and set on full stun on a ship rigged with sails it would probably propel it off a bookcase at about 30 knots. It is generally useful around the house: dusting behind appliances and blasting out lost teaspoons and ball point pens from under the microwave.
The mini rotary tool is a repeat buy. I found the first one so useful that I bought another to reduce the number of collet changes for different bit sizes.
The small chuck will fit the rotary tool. It will hold bits in the range 0.3 - 3.2 but is not entirely successful. Either it, or the collet I put it in is slightly eccentric so there is a lot of vibration and the tip of a drill bit performs an orbit. It might be better in a full size Dremel or electric drill bu I have not tried it yet.
The saw is a substitute for a full size fretsaw frame. It is much easier to wield.
Finally the red item is one of a set of extra long needle threaders. It is infinitely better than the flimsy silvery things (also pictured). It has a well pointed end and the wire is firmly anchored in the plastic handle.
Tools.jpg

Here's my solution.
I have a smaller, portable shop vacuum, made for small cleanup jobs on the worksite. It can be plugged in, or runs on the standard Dewalt 18 volt battery system. Used the same attachments that a full size vac or shop vac uses.

IMG_0464.JPG

I found this set of mini vac tools. Has reducers for the hose from standard to the tiny system, a couple extension wands for hard to reach areas, and the traditional crevice tool, small brush tool and the larger brush tool, all in mini size as you can see from the comparison to the quarter coin. The coupling on the end of the mini hose has a control to regulate the suction power

IMG_0465.JPG

With this outfit, I can clean the man cave, the workbench and dust off models and other items without disturbing or damaging things. Works great for me as I do both plastic models and wood models that create a lot of wood dust.

I have a small portable Ryobi wet/dry vac that is battery powered. I have used it to clean small messes up.

I has come in handy in my RV and at train shows to clean up loose gravel on track when last minute repairs are done on bad track.

Fair comment. I think camera dusting was what the item was specified for.
However, quite a lot of items do cross over successfully from other crafts and activities. Eg: needle threaders, crochet hooks and general DIY tools.
Some you win.
I don't know if anyone has ever had the nerve to use The Admiral's curling tongs to aid plank bending.

Back