Mirage Hobby 1/350 Flower Class Corvette "Zinnia"

While I was looking for kits of a Gearing class destroyer on ebay I came across this kit of a Flower class corvette. A long time ago I purchased the Matchbox 1/72 scale Flower class corvette but when I decided it was too big to fit in my home I traded it away. Last year I bought the Revell HMCS Snowberry in 1/144 scale but have yet to start on it. It is still a good sized model and looks awesome in the images I have seen of the build by others. I have several other ship models in 1/350 so I decided to get the HMS Zinnia. I was curious about the quality of the kit as I have never purchased or seen a kit from Mirage Hobby. In the box it looks pretty good and should build into a fair replica of one of the early Flower class ships. The kit has no PE detail parts so I looked and found that White Ensign makes a set for this kit. The PE fret costs more than the original kit. It hasn't arrived yet so I could only go by the images. It looks like the PE including railings will add significantly to the appearance of the finished model. Following are the images of what came in the box.

Attachments

• HMS Zinnia 001.jpg
    HMS Zinnia 001.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 29
  • HMS Zinnia 002.jpg
    HMS Zinnia 002.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 25
  • HMS Zinnia 003.jpg
    HMS Zinnia 003.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 28
  • HMS Zinnia 004.jpg
    HMS Zinnia 004.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 33
  • HMS Zinnia 006.jpg
    HMS Zinnia 006.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 27
  • HMS Zinnia 007.jpg
    HMS Zinnia 007.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 20
Hi Bob,
You want to lay your hands on a book called Flower Class Corvettes by Seaford Publishing written by John Lambert & Les Brown it's a Shipcraft Special . You will find your Corvette was built in Smith's Yard , Middlesbrough on the 20/08/1940 when the keel was laid down , Launched in the 28/11/1940 she was sunk by U-Boat U-564 West of Portugal on the 23/08/1941.
It's a very interesting book covering all the Corvettes in service with Allied Forces during world War two , I can recommend you get it , there are lots of drawing, photos that will help you bring out the best in your model .
Happy modelling Bob.
Niallmhor49

Or if you can't find that book try "Anatomy of the Ship: The Flower Class Corvette Agassiz" by John McKay & John Harland , a well detail book and a great help when you get round to building your Corvette.
Happy modelling Bob.
Niallmhor49

Back