Missing parts

My model is missing planking parts. (Artesania Latina San Francisco II). Does anybody have experience in getting parts from this manufacturer? Or have you found it easier to go ahead and make your own. I can mill the planking easy enough in my shop but I am not sure what species of wood this is. Birch? Poplar? Thanks for any suggestions!

My model is missing planking parts. (Artesania Latina San Francisco II). Does anybody have experience in getting parts from this manufacturer? Or have you found it easier to go ahead and make your own. I can mill the planking easy enough in my shop but I am not sure what species of wood this is. Birch? Poplar? Thanks for any suggestions!
you can email them and usually they will send missing. this is nothing unusual, although it is a pain and should not happen. Make sure you have specific part numbers and amount missing. You might have to keep on them. AL was closed for a while and is now up and running again. Good luck. Always inventory your kits asap. I won't buy from a supplier anymore unless they include a COMPLETE inventory sheet. My next build is from ZHL and everything was there down to the last nail. In this day and age, there is so much competition, and cost, missing parts should not be tolerated.

I guess I have gotten lazy, cynical, or both over the years with missing stuff from kits. I don’t try going back to the manufacturers anymore. I go to my favorite ship fittings and wood stock web sites and order up what I need. Done. Sometimes I order better replacement parts...sometimes I change up the wood. Missing mahogany deck planking strips? Hmmm...maybe I will buy some pear wood instead...

Veneer packs - good source of thin wood. I have several that will cover many uses. Different species make it easier to match the model.

Attachments

• 20210110_120130.jpg
    20210110_120130.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210110_120114.jpg
    20210110_120114.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210110_120109.jpg
    20210110_120109.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210110_120059.jpg
    20210110_120059.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 9
What's a good way to cut it into strips of precise and consistent width? My band saw would probably create rough edges.
I do it with a fine tooth blade on the circular saw. Some timbers are more brittle than others, ie. mahogany does not behave well. Some others (Pear, Costello) result in very good planks.
János

Back