Missouri v. Wisconsin, difference?

I am building the Joy-Yard 1/350 USS Missouri. I am toying with the idea of converting her to the Wisconsin circa late 1944, early 1945.
Any advise on the differences between these two would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Harley

Uwek, thanks for your input. I have been hitting all the usual sources. I enjoy the research part of our hobby but occasionally I see remarks from folks who have personal experience with the ship in question.

Re late 1944 the two ships were virtually identical except for two items, the Missouri wore a measure 32 dazzle camo scheme where Wisconsin wore a graded measure 22 scheme. Missouri mounted a round, parabolic air search radar on her foremast (SK-2) whereas Wisconsin mounted the older, rectangular SK-1 on her foremast. There may have been a few other miniscule changes that i can't recall. In 1945 both ships wore the Ms 22 graded camo scheme. In mid 1945 the Wisconsin had her mainmast heightened and shipped an additional air search radar, a smaller rectangular set called I think an SC-2. There also may have been some changes to the floatplanes. Initially both ships carried Kingfishers but before the war was over they may have been swapped for Seahawks.

I served on BB64 with the Pre-Com and Com Unit in Pascagoula MS 1986-1989 and during the period of Ref Tra. We always joked that the WISCONSIN was larger than the other battleships in her class. In 1956 she collided with the EATON with substantial damage to her bow. They removed the entire bow of the WISCONSIN and replaced it with a bow they were constructing at the time for a sister ship that was never completed. In the process of adding the new bow, they added a couple inches. Thus, WISCONSIN is, in fact, a couple inches longer...or so the story goes.

I have a book on the US navies battleships that as I remember has detailed information on these two ships and all of the changes made during the war years. If I can find it I’ll contact you via PM.

My thanks to those who added their comments, advise, and experiences.

David, this kit has enough tiny parts only a spider could handle without trying to add "a couple of inches" to the bow.o_O

sgs351, I have a picture of the two ships alongside each other and the antenna difference is obvious, thanks. I have a
sheet from White Ensign that will supply the proper antenna.

Regards, Harley

I was able to locate the book "Iowa Class Battleships Their design, weapons & equipment"
by Robert F. Sumrall published by the U.S. Naval Institute Press. Some members my know Mr. Sumrall as a Assistant Director and Curator of Ship Models at the USNA. There are no photos in this book that shows the two ships during the same time except for the commissioning photos.

There may be more differences than listed above as the AA batteries were constantly being changed through out the war on the Iowa class. There is also some indication that the Wisconsin was commissioned with an open bridge and the pilot house was also open. The Missouri was launched with the enclosed bridge and Pilot house and the latest AA Battery.

If you can get your hands on this book it is very informative and quite interesting.

Jim

There are some nice battleship groups on FB. You may join and access useful information and pics

Back